Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Steering question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering question.

Around town the steering feels great but on the freeway I notice play in the steering, the truck doesnt drift or anything, just at higher speeds the steering has a inch either way play and I have the correct it alot. I am trying to figure out what parts to look at getting(ball joints) etc, I only want to do steering related ones for now, truck only has just under 43,000 original miles, but age wise some rubber parts have tiny cracks etc. Do you think a steering stabilizer would help this? Right now truck is totally stock except air filter. 95 xlt 4x4 LB SC auto
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods first, but your problem might be in the steering gear or column. I've done new ball joints, bearings, and tie rods on mine (definitely needed all of them) and got an alignment, but the issue is still there. Just some slop in the steering. There's another thread on here somewhere that talked about a crack in the frame under the steering box; could be an issue too.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

sounds like a 20 year old truck to me lol.

i would get a steering stabilizer kit that will help alot.

an inch of play at highway speeds isnt bad at all.

and yes check the frame behind the box.

and also get someone to help you here, but have some one force the steering wheel back and forth( with the engine off) and look for the rivets of the cross members for any play.(mine busted before and it is not perdy

Last edited by fordtrucknut; 03-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering question.