Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starts Runs 5 min then dies and only runs rpugh and poorly after

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts Runs 5 min then dies and only runs rpugh and poorly after

Hi My 1996 Ford F150 Extended XLT dual tank automatic runs great - starts easy but then after about 5 minutes runs like garbage.

1 - changed out both the fuel pumps and sending units with new - non Chinese made units --
2- Rebuilt Distributor with new Electronic Module
3- New ECU
4- New Blue top O battery
5-plenty of frustration
No one seems to be able to figure out this problem. We thought it was the pumps [ only one was working anyway ] - Changed them out for new - not rebuilt -- changed the ECM - Computer - had to take it back - it is a rebuilt model but did seem to work?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Moved to the parent group for greater visibility
Old 07-10-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

1 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the originals? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement parts? Did they pass the same tests the originals failed? What is the fuel pressure from each tank with the engine running well, and again when running badly?
2 - You rebuilt it personally? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed?
3 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed?
4 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed? What do the terminals look like? Are they clean & tight? Are they bolted to the cables, crimped, or soldered?

What exactly do you mean by "seemed to work"? How long has this symptom been present? Put all the truck's details into your signature so we can review them with each reply. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
Gary Rice (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM

1 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the originals? - The fuel pumps were what was thought to be the issue -- so both replaced and they were bad - also many people don't replace the sending units so I did to be sure that part of the project was complete.

What's the brand, I don't have that in front of me - but could get it over the next few days - i got it from Advance Auto

PN, Same as above

& source of the replacement parts? Advance Auto on the Computer

Did they pass the same tests the originals failed? There was nothing to test anything with except for the running of the trk

What is the fuel pressure from each tank with the engine running well, -----------------I don't have those tools available but a Ford Certified [ 15 years mechanic ] mechanic is working on it and again when running badly? See the above
2 - You rebuilt it personally? The Computer is from Advance Auto

the dist. from Ebay - with a very high success rate.

What exactly was wrong with the original? The post was loose inside the dist

What's the brand, N/A

PN, & source of the replacement part? N/A

Did it pass the same tests the original failed? What test ? That's about it for now

Originally Posted by Steve83
1 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the originals? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement parts? Did they pass the same tests the originals failed? What is the fuel pressure from each tank with the engine running well, and again when running badly?
2 - You rebuilt it personally? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed?
3 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed?
4 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the original? What's the brand, PN, & source of the replacement part? Did it pass the same tests the original failed? What do the terminals look like? Are they clean & tight? Are they bolted to the cables, crimped, or soldered?

What exactly do you mean by "seemed to work"? How long has this symptom been present? Put all the truck's details into your signature so we can review them with each reply. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 PM

1 - Why? What exactly was wrong with the originals? - The fuel pumps were what was thought to be the issue -- so both replaced and they were bad - also many people don't replace the sending units so I did to be sure that part of the project was complete.

What's the brand, I don't have that in front of me - but could get it over the next few days - i got it from Advance Auto

PN, Same as above

& source of the replacement parts? Advance Auto on the Computer

Did they pass the same tests the originals failed? There was nothing to test anything with except for the running of the trk

What is the fuel pressure from each tank with the engine running well, -----------------I don't have those tools available but a Ford Certified [ 15 years mechanic ] mechanic is working on it and again when running badly? See the above
2 - You rebuilt it personally? The Computer is from Advance Auto

the dist. from Ebay - with a very high success rate.

What exactly was wrong with the original? The post was loose inside the dist

What's the brand, N/A

PN, & source of the replacement part? N/A

Did it pass the same tests the original failed? What test ? That's about it for now

Originally Posted by Steve83

(phone app link)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Being as you have OBD2 take a look at live data see if intake temp and coolant temp look correct. Could also look at timing advance. Some basic easy checks that could cause your problem.

Quick Reply: Starts Runs 5 min then dies and only runs rpugh and poorly after