Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

I have been trying to figure out a starting issue with my 95 F-150 V8, been having the issue for a couple of weeks. To start off one of my kids left the dome light on in my truck, so when I got in my truck to go to work it would start. Tried starting jumping it worked for a couple of days then it wouldn't start again. I cleaned the battery terminals and posts , and noticed that both clamps were cracked. Took the battery to Autozone to get it checked, they told me it was bad (which I believe them) so I got a new battery. Once I replaced it I had to jump start the truck to get it to run, and again it worked for a couple of days then same problem. I noticed that the negative clamp wasn't getting a good connection so I replaced that. Still having the same issue, if it gets jumped it will work, but once I turn it off it won't start again. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy some new clamps or cables. If you buy clamps don't skimp. I actually added one from the battery to the engine block. The cables are frequently an issue with these trucks.
Regards
rikard
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rikard
Buy some new clamps or cables. If you buy clamps don't skimp. I actually added one from the battery to the engine block. The cables are frequently an issue with these trucks.
Regards
rikard
X2. Replace both, you already did the negative so do the positive. I spoiled my truck and bought these gold (colored) ones that have two big and two little holes to put wires into that pinch with Allen head screws. Haven't had any connection issues since. If the wire ends are corroded you can use a baking soda/water mix to help clean them but its better practice to replace the old cables if they're corroding.

Quick Reply: Starting issue