Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Slight Transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM
1996 f150 inline 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Transmission fluid leak

I've got a slight transmission leak. How can I tell where it's coming from and what can I expect a transmission shopt to charge me to put on a rubber gasket.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is coming from the bellhousing, rear motor seal or valve covers leaking, if pan gasket, probably $150+ to change, its easy to change yourself, gasket 10, fluid 30, and if you do it yourself, a big help is go to the Home Depot and get a small plastic mud\cement pan, they are about 2' x 3' x 6" deep. Works well catching all the fluid. If it is the rear motor seal, a temp fix is seal stop\conditioner , I put some in my ranger and it actually worked.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 AM
You Talking to ME!

First wipe it down good..see where it is comming from..Oil or Trans fluid (check color and smell) Based on my experiance
Yeah..I agree..Pan gasket leaking.. if tranny fluid. Might check the torque on the pan bolts..dont over tighten them..do them to spec..if still leaking..drop the pan..and change the gasket and fluid...Heck..while your under there..change the filter as well..again..dont over tighten the bolts (torque them with torque wrench to spec) and do them in proper sequence..

Last edited by willtransco; 05-24-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
1996 f150 inline 6

Originally Posted by willtransco
First wipe it down good..see where it is comming from..Oil or Trans fluid (check color and smell) Based on my experiance
Yeah..I agree..Pan gasket leaking.. if tranny fluid. Might check the torque on the pan bolts..dont over tighten them..do them to spec..if still leaking..drop the pan..and change the gasket and fluid...Heck..while your under there..change the filter as well..again..dont over tighten the bolts (torque them with torque wrench to spec) and do them in proper sequence..
Thanks.

Definitely Transmission fluid. It's clean now, but do wonder if gasket how oil was so high up above the gasket line. Might not be so easy to tell where it's coming from, but the pan does look kind a beat up.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
1996 f150 inline 6

How slight? so slight that I degreased and pressure cleaned the area good and have driven the truck around a bunch of times this week and still no sign of the leak.

Quick Reply: Slight Transmission fluid leak