Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Side molding/trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Side molding/trim

I cannot find recent threads about removing side molding/trim and I figure there are constant improvements to solvent tech so I would throw this out.

I have a 1990 that must have been in an accident on the passenger side at one point. This disturbed the molding and I guess the previous owner initially tried to put the piece back on with some silicon/liquid nails/gorilla glue and failed and so by the time I got the truck that chunk of molding was just gone. The piece in the front had mostly fallen off and I found that the rest of the pieces came off in my hands really easily and compulsively ripped the rest of them off without a game plan.

The first thing I tried as careful action with a straight razor. You can see this really didn't get me anywhere. The next step was a 3M eraser wheel I picked up on Amazon and I only got through a small section before giving up because that small section was about 45 minutes and doing the whole truck would have been like getting a second job.

I'm not super picky but the leftover adhesive pinstripe is really ugly. I am debating going to a shop and seeing what they want but shops around me are really unreliable at delivering on small jobs like this. I think I'm going to end up going to a shop to get the grey stuff removed and they are probably going to want to paint the whole truck to do it... at which point I can probably save hundreds of dollars if I do at least the prepwork of getting all the rest of the adhesive off. The other reason I don't want to go pro is that I know that going with a pro to do something like this I am probably looking at minimum $300 probably more like $800 for them to have someone on a slow day butcher it... I would rather deal with the ugly and put that kind of money into the motor.

Haven't yet tried WD40, I found a 3M automotive adhesive remover for $16 ea 12oz can that looks promising but in the item description itself it goes back and forth between saying it's great for removing anything sticky including tar and saying that you should only ask it to remove bumper stickers and the reviews between the package sizes are wildly inconsistent.

Anyone recently remove their side molding/trim and have any insights?

Old 10-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by TedNacho
I cannot find recent threads about removing side molding/trim and I figure there are constant improvements to solvent tech so I would throw this out.

I have a 1990 that must have been in an accident on the passenger side at one point. This disturbed the molding and I guess the previous owner initially tried to put the piece back on with some silicon/liquid nails/gorilla glue and failed and so by the time I got the truck that chunk of molding was just gone. The piece in the front had mostly fallen off and I found that the rest of the pieces came off in my hands really easily and compulsively ripped the rest of them off without a game plan.

The first thing I tried as careful action with a straight razor. You can see this really didn't get me anywhere. The next step was a 3M eraser wheel I picked up on Amazon and I only got through a small section before giving up because that small section was about 45 minutes and doing the whole truck would have been like getting a second job.

I'm not super picky but the leftover adhesive pinstripe is really ugly. I am debating going to a shop and seeing what they want but shops around me are really unreliable at delivering on small jobs like this. I think I'm going to end up going to a shop to get the grey stuff removed and they are probably going to want to paint the whole truck to do it... at which point I can probably save hundreds of dollars if I do at least the prepwork of getting all the rest of the adhesive off. The other reason I don't want to go pro is that I know that going with a pro to do something like this I am probably looking at minimum $300 probably more like $800 for them to have someone on a slow day butcher it... I would rather deal with the ugly and put that kind of money into the motor.

Haven't yet tried WD40, I found a 3M automotive adhesive remover for $16 ea 12oz can that looks promising but in the item description itself it goes back and forth between saying it's great for removing anything sticky including tar and saying that you should only ask it to remove bumper stickers and the reviews between the package sizes are wildly inconsistent.

Anyone recently remove their side molding/trim and have any insights?

There's no easy way. I used heat and fishing line to remove my old trim, which took a significant amount of the adhesive with it. Then the 3M eraser wheel did the rest, followed by rubbing compound and polish. My best advice would be to get some Goof Off spray and lay it on thick on one section, then scrub with a decently abrasive sponge that won't scratch the paint, let it dry, and go at it with the wheel. It will take a while to do it. You might need more than one eraser wheel.
The following users liked this post:
TedNacho (10-05-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I use a SpitzNagel scraper, followed by brake cleaner and LOTS of paper towels to collect the adhesive, rather than spread it.
The following users liked this post:
TedNacho (10-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Side molding/trim