Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Shift pin issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift pin issue

I'm having trouble with my shifter on my 95' with the 4.9l and a manual transmission. The shifter has a ton of slop to it in every gear, it was originally bad shifter bushings, but since i have replaced the bushings, I have had to replace the alignment pins 3-4 times in a year, just due to the fact that they have been backing out of the transmission. I have made sure they are all the way set in place every time I've replaced them since the initial replacement. Does anybody know how I could fix this issue?
The only thing i can think of is replace the whole top cover on the trans, but i dont really want to spend the $350 for a used part.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:40 AM

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Randall_95
I'm having trouble with my shifter on my 95' with the 4.9l and a manual transmission. The shifter has a ton of slop to it in every gear, it was originally bad shifter bushings, but since i have replaced the bushings, I have had to replace the alignment pins 3-4 times in a year, just due to the fact that they have been backing out of the transmission. I have made sure they are all the way set in place every time I've replaced them since the initial replacement. Does anybody know how I could fix this issue?
The only thing i can think of is replace the whole top cover on the trans, but i dont really want to spend the $350 for a used part.
Maybe clean the area really good and put a small amount of JB Weld on the edge of the pin in one spot, so you can grind it off if you ever need to.
Might be worth reading reviews from different pin suppliers to see if it's a problem with where you're buying them.
The following users liked this post:
Randall_95 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:53 AM

Received 376 Likes on 331 Posts

The shifter is replaceable separate.
Replace the shifter for the loose in all gears part.
The factory roll pins should be still available NOS on Ebay (black and shiny)
It's the interference fit between the roll pin and the shift shafts in there and the Forks that hold the pins in place.
Sometimes we would see "stake" marks from the factory where they thought the pins might come out, so they staked them in
So, next time, install a new fork and stake the pin in (by using a small pointed punch and make divots around the pin on both sides of the aluminum fork)
Randall_95 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by manicmechanic007
The shifter is replaceable separate.
Replace the shifter for the loose in all gears part.
The factory roll pins should be still available NOS on Ebay (black and shiny)
It's the interference fit between the roll pin and the shift shafts in there and the Forks that hold the pins in place.
Sometimes we would see "stake" marks from the factory where they thought the pins might come out, so they staked them in
So, next time, install a new fork and stake the pin in (by using a small pointed punch and make divots around the pin on both sides of the aluminum fork)
I didn't think of that, but now that im thinking about it the original factory ones were stamped like that, I'll buy another set of better pins, and try that. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:35 PM

I didn't think of that, but now that im thinking about it the original factory ones were stamped like that, I'll buy another set of better pins, and try that. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking of the wrong pins. I thought you meant the two pins that are pressed in and ride in the grooves at the base of the shifter.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Soup Bean
I was thinking of the wrong pins. I thought you meant the two pins that are pressed in and ride in the grooves at the base of the shifter.
that is what I have been referring too, i pulled thw original ones i have out of my tool box, and was looking at them, and it looks like they were punched in place, I don't know if that was from factory like that, or if someone did it before I got the truck, but it does look like the have a divot from it on the head of the pin
Old 02-08-2024, 02:25 PM

that is what I have been referring too, i pulled thw original ones i have out of my tool box, and was looking at them, and it looks like they were punched in place, I don't know if that was from factory like that, or if someone did it before I got the truck, but it does look like the have a divot from it on the head of the pin
If you're talking about these pins, I would try J B Weld.

Randall_95 (02-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Shift pin issue