Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Retiring the Zombie Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Retiring the Zombie Truck!

Well, after 15 great years, I'm retiring my '95. She's been great, but as of recent, she's starting to need allot more maintenance and time that I just don't have. I've spent the last few weeks scouring the net and local dealers for another F150 or F250 and I'm really ashamed of how these folks treat their trucks. I could not find one in my price range that didn't need as much put into it as I was willing to pay. A friend of mine lost his Grandfather recently and I picked up his 2000 Sierra today for $5500. Mint condition as most elderly finds are. I don't want to sell my truck, so I'm contemplating a slow resto which may end up as a yard ornament or to let her go to someone deserving who will bring her back to a more exciting life. At least with the GMC I'll be able to pull my travel trailer.....If GM can live up to it's ratings!

and the new to me...

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

R.I.P. Zombie
Old 07-25-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I am in this same category to be honest. I've been looking at newer trucks.

I most likely won't be selling my '90 anytime soon, but I do need a newer truck (preferably with a warranty) so that I can build my '90 properly on my own time.

I've been strongly considering selling it outright, but I don't want to part ways with it just yet and as silly as it may sound, I'd like to sell it to someone that will take proper care of it if I were to part ways with it.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame! I like the look of that truck blacked out. Makes me want to do a similar look on mine.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

I still LOVE my truck! I always wanted to bedline the entire truck and do a semi gloss paint on top of that. She just looks awesome for a 2wd.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:18 PM
I

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree nice looking truck. What are the specs on the Sierra?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Might want to tuck the old girl away for a bit.
About 6 years ago, I had a 96 F150 that I really liked - but she needed some work.... so just sell it off, use that money and what I would of had to spend to fix it and buy a 2001 Sierra SLE - sound familiar ?
The Sierra was a nice truck, all the bells and whistles and nothing to exactly complain about.
But personally, I didn't like it. The pedals are too far forward, the dash is too deep, the steering wheel is too close, you know what I mean.
Anyway... I pushed that truck around for 4 1/2 years before I finally found a 95 F150 I liked, and the Sierra was gone..............
I didn't hate it. I just didn't like driving it as much as the Ford. So if you can afford to, you might want to just tuck the zombie off to the side somewhere till you have a chance to see what you really think about the GM
(You're going to really miss having vent windows).
Hope the new truck works out for you though.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Originally Posted by tanman90
I agree nice looking truck. What are the specs on the Sierra?
1 owner (Elderly) 2000 Sierra 1500 5.3l SLT @167K miles. Leather interior with all of the goodies. Perfect body and interior and it's a very limited production, Leak Free truck! Lol. The down side is an open 3:42 rear end. It will still handle 7800lbs. of trailer, so my travel trailer will be a bit easier to pull. According to trailer life magazine towing guide, I can up the wheels and tires from 16" to "17 and get another 1k lbs of trailering or pay out the wazu for a 3:73. As of today, I've done the drop in K&N, Flowmaster 40 series and a full set of Wranglers. I was concerned about the 40 series muffler, but it's surprisingly quiet on a single in single out exhaust.

Chris, I'm going to hang on to my Ford for a while at least. Lot's of stuff to pull when the weather cools off. I have the time now to drop the transmission and replace the brand new clutch slave and pull the booster off of the firewall to find where my flex is coming from and repair it. I may even look for an LS rear end with a lower gear.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

New trucks are like new girlfriends; at first they're just so much better, but then after a few years you kinda get annoyed at things that didn't bother you before and you start remembering the things that you really liked about the old one.
I do miss 2 things about the Sierra; the auto - on lights were kinda nice, but the only thing that I really miss is the delay on the window power shutoff. If I forget and take the key out, I have to put it back in to put them up.
Other than that though, the Ford just makes me happier. And even in her less than perfect current condition, she does get noticed.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^ lol I totAlly agree my first truck was a 92 f150 I gotrid of it and went threw a few newer f150s 250s and acouple newer rangers but I alwAys found myself wanting another 90s model so wen I picked up my 95 f150 I was so happy to be back in another 90s model. I grew up in one my dad had a few its were my hearts at wen it comes to trucks. They just dnt make them like they did on the other hand I can't say anything bad about Chevys dodge and so on I never owned one lol I hope ur Sierra treats u good my man

Last edited by Modular man; 07-27-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Retiring the Zombie Truck!