Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel

So I picked up this 96 F150 a while ago and it has had a broken ignition cylinder aka has to be started with a screwdriver and ****ty universal ignition switch. Here is a picture of what it looks like, so replacig the cylinder is not an option and I don't want to replace the entire column to begin with. I don't want to use a key for anything other than getting into the door basically. Here is a picture of what it looks like (not my truck),

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-olyszak.jpg

the PO wired up a 'universal ignition switch' as a diy replacement but it isn't being held anywhere and doesn't turn off any of the acc so I still have to use a damn screwdriver. It has 1 wire running out to the solenoid through the engine bay...and then they split the large red/ltblue wire so that the switch is in-line to the ACTUAL plastic ignition switch....anyways...

here are some pictures of the diy switch that the PO installed, amazingly enough it hasn't come undone or anything even with the housing wiring nuts

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-yuzmnqy.jpg
Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-edaymve.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	oLYsZaK.jpg
Views:	1859
Size:	902.9 KB
ID:	569077

and here is the replacement part, 4 panel switch, 1 toggle for ignition, 1 push button start, 2 extra toggles (1 will be for ACC). a lot cheaper and easier to replace then the steering column housing.

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-ylwlh93.jpg
Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-0ixantv.jpg
Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-q6tilhg.png

Red/lt blue for completing starting circuit= 1 side of push button
Yellow for constant = 1 side of toggle switch

my question is, what should I use for the ACC switch wiring? I believe its DK/G is the main acc wire but just want to double check beforehand.
I want to use the toggle switch as the on/off if that isn't clear before hand.

Appreciate any help I can get
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 PM

messed with it today but ran out of daylight -_- but wiring is all set up just need to make it neater and make permanent connections. for future reference for anybody trying to do a similar setup...mind you the wiring if from a 96 5.8 auto but anyways

Push button = Small red/light blue stripe wire from starter relay (STA on ign switch logic)
Toggle Switch = Large red/green stripe to starter (I-2 on ign switch logic)
ACC toggle switch = Big Black/grn and 3 grey/yellow stripe wires (A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4)

and for power I tapped 1 wire into one of the yellow Battery Circuit (B-1 -> B-4) wires and ran it out to the main battery disconnect terminal on the pad which provides some power to everything.

So far so good on the test runs, I pushed out the terminals in case I ever do get the thing fixed so they aren't destroyed or chopped or anything.

Name:  IY7Ujtd.jpg
Views: 4675
Size:  60.5 KB
Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'd say that's the best solution in your situation. The column can be a PITA to replace. On a lighter note, if you get stopped by a cop - in your present condition - I can just imagine his first thought when he sees the wiring !

P.S. Good job on un-pinning the connectors instead of cutting wires

Last edited by PerryB; 08-19-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM

finished it up this morning. I never measured the area I was planning on putting the panel...turns out it didn't fit so kind of a waste for just the switches but owell. Works perfect though and doesn't look too shabby.

Joined the ACC cables in pairs and then to the same terminal.

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-odumm01.jpg
Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-q7q5uqt.jpg

don't mind the workbench

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-je4fclj.jpg

all done

Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel-1smz2ki.jpg

Quick Reply: Replacing ignition switch with toggle panel