Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removing Radius Arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Radius Arms

My truck has some Skyjacker extended radius arms that were installed with the lift, probably 10 years ago. The paint (or whatever they are coated with) has started cracking and peeling, allowing it them to start rusting. It's only surface rust at this point, but I'd like to stop it and have the radius arms look new again.

Suspension is one area where my mechanical knowledge is lacking, all I've ever done with suspension is bushings, shocks and springs. Is it difficult to remove the radius arms? What precautions do I need to take?

I'm planing on having a little down time, so I would take them in and have them sandblasted, then I'd prime them, spray them with several layers of enamel and several layers of clear. Is that a good way to do it?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

put it on Jack stands then just tear it apart...

the springs need to be taken out and the shock off before that...then the radius rods....

I would have them powder coated....much stronger than paint
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

^ agreed, powder or maybe por15 if you cant find a place to powdercoat it
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
put it on Jack stands then just tear it apart...

the springs need to be taken out and the shock off before that...then the radius rods....

I would have them powder coated....much stronger than paint
Originally Posted by 95stepside
^ agreed, powder or maybe por15 if you cant find a place to powdercoat it
Can I do clear coat over the powder coating, to make it glossy? Or is that a no-no? I'll see if there's any place local that can do red powder coating. I guess black wouldn't be so bad either, but it would be nice to have it still match the springs and other lift parts. Maybe I can take the springs in too, since I have to take them off.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 AM

One more question, would it save any effort doing this all at the same time as the ball joints? I'm planning on doing them soon as well. It would be nice to do those two repairs on two separate weekends, but if its going to save significant effort I could try to do it all in one super-long weekend.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

well while you have it apart I would do the ball joints and anything you think you may need to change...

on a 4x4 this is a Perfect time to change the knuckles if they is even the slightest bit of slop in them...

powder coating can come in glossy finishes and is tougher than paint and they also have a powder clear coat....

Honestly I am sure there are several powder companies...there are here...I would talk to them about it... you'll be surprised how cheap it is...it isnt bad we get stuff done all the time...
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
well while you have it apart I would do the ball joints and anything you think you may need to change...

on a 4x4 this is a Perfect time to change the knuckles if they is even the slightest bit of slop in them...

powder coating can come in glossy finishes and is tougher than paint and they also have a powder clear coat....

Honestly I am sure there are several powder companies...there are here...I would talk to them about it... you'll be surprised how cheap it is...it isnt bad we get stuff done all the time...
Yeah, I was able to find two companies, I'll go in and talk to them. Let me get this straight though - If I replace the steering knuckles, I don't even have to pull the old ball joints out, right? I could just press the new ones into the new knuckles, and discard the old assembly. Would that save a considerable amount of labor, or is most of the work simply getting to the parts? I don't think there's anything wrong with the knuckles, but if it would save me much time maybe I'll at least price new knuckles. Maybe I'll do front brakes at the same time as well!

Last edited by '89Lariat; 04-08-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing Radius Arms