Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removing oil sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing oil sending unit

I've tried everything guys and can't get this thing to budge. Is it torqued down from the factory or something? It's a 95 f150 XLT 5.0L, and it took me a while to even find the thing thanks to some bad guidance from google, but now it wont move. I've tried pliers, and vice grips. I dont own a socket big enough but I'm about to go invest in a breaker bar and correct socket if that's what it takes.

Does anyone know the size of the socket needed for the oil sending unit?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by kaidotech
I've tried everything guys and can't get this thing to budge. Is it torqued down from the factory or something? It's a 95 f150 XLT 5.0L, and it took me a while to even find the thing thanks to some bad guidance from google, but now it wont move. I've tried pliers, and vice grips. I dont own a socket big enough but I'm about to go invest in a breaker bar and correct socket if that's what it takes.

Does anyone know the size of the socket needed for the oil sending unit?
The Sender shouldn't be a problem. The pick up unit it mounts to, is a different story. Have you tried just replacing the sender only first?

Last edited by ymeski56; 04-26-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaid did you get it? I am doing mine this weekend on a 92; what size socket did it take?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
The Sender shouldn't be a problem. The pick up unit it mounts to, is a different story. Have you tried just replacing the sender only first?
I don't understand

"The pick up unit"? What's that? I replaced the oil sending unit on my 94' 5.0L. I just took the oil filter off and it gave me plenty o' room. I don't recall any 'pick up' unit, just the sender. It unscrewed and screwed back in no problemo.

Mine looked like this:

Last edited by hackersmovie; 04-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 AM

So far I've had no luck. I have no idea what you are talking about with a pickup, but I have a replacement sending unit. I found where it is, and I bought a 1", 1-1/16ths" socket for sending units at autozone, but it's too big for the stock sending unit. I still havent found out what size socket it is, but everyone I have is too small.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
I don't understand

"The pick up unit"? What's that? I replaced the oil sending unit on my 94' 5.0L. I just took the oil filter off and it gave me plenty o' room. I don't recall any 'pick up' unit, just the sender. It unscrewed and screwed back in no problemo.

Mine looked like this:

I tried to take a picture of the setup on my 87' but I find my P.O.S. phone camera doesn't have a flash! There's what I call a pick up, that screws into the block, that's a b*tch to remove (approx. 3" long hexegon, kinda looks like stainless steel). My sender unit screws into it.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished mine on a 92. It took a 1 1/16 deep socket to remove it. The new sender was a 7/8 deep, not sure why there is a difference but it seems to be reading fine and most importantly the oil leak has stopped.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Okay, replaced the sending unit with a new one and it worked fine for two days, but this morning when I got on the freeway and did 80mph and came home (was coming back from someone's house for the weekend), it started bouncing at a stop light (the oil gauge). Does this mean my oil pump is pretty much ****ed?

Quick Reply: Removing oil sending unit