Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removing chrome windshield trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing chrome windshield trim

Hello guys. I am new to this forum. Anyway, my problem is I have a 1992 XLT which I purchased new. I keep it in tip top shape. A few years ago I had the windshield replaced and now it leaks from the top. I suspect the installer did a crappy job sealing the new windshield. I am trying to figure out how to remove the two top chrome trims, without damaging them, so that I can reseal it. I have the shop manual for it but it doesn't really got into detail on to remove the trim. Does anyone know how it is done?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
'88 F150cust 4.9 2wd 5spd

I have a '88 i am sure it is about the same way. I also had the problem of the windshield being replaced and leaking. I bought a calking gun tube of the window sealer for i think like $12.

There is little clips, i think 3or4 on the bottom and 2or3 on the sides. I got a big screwdriver, and put it between the cab and the chrome trim just be very carefull if you don't want it damaged. But when they replaced mine they sealed the clips in with the windshield. and once i got that off i got a razor knife and cut where they messed up on the seal. cleaned it very well with a small putty knife and lots of alcohol, to make sure it was completely cleaned. then i filled it with window sealer and filled up a couple of small rust spots. then stuck the chrome peice back.
then i also went inside the cab took off the plastic peices and sealed up the small gaps they messed up on.

I don't think you needed to know everything but thats what i did anyways. Wouldn't it be nice if when you bring your truck to pay someone to fixed it they should do it right the first time so you don't have to redo a job they messed up on! thats why i do everything i can myself.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Eastwood has what you need, go here:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks, I will give it a try this weekend...

Quick Reply: Removing chrome windshield trim