Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

removal of 89 tailgate insert

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question removal of 89 tailgate insert

I have a 89 XLT Lariat. It has the brushed metal, with the reflector insert across the tailgate. I know there are two screws on the back edge of the tailgate, on each end. Are there also screws in the center of it, and if so, will I be able to get at them easily? Before I take off the bedliner on the back of the tailgate, and the access panel for the latches, I wanted to check to see if it's necessary. I can't imagine that they would only have four screws holding something going all the way across the tailgate. I need to remove it so I can remove the reflector and re glue it. It's falling off. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes take the tailgate bedliner panel off the srews are behind that.
The following users liked this post:
billball (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that I will attempt to completely remove the loose reflector before taking the metal insert off the tailgate. That way I can put some pressure (carefully) on the rest of the glue without bending the metal. Then I can take the metal off, lay it flat, and re glue the reflector to it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

My reflector was coming off, it's black (I have a 92) I just pumped some black rtv behind, put some speed tape on to hold it down, next day peeled the tape off and it looks great. You could try that instead of removing everything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: removal of 89 tailgate insert