Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Is this a real solution for wandering steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Is this a real solution for wandering steering?

I just came across this post on "thetruthaboutcars.com" by accident. Anyone know if this is true? My 93 Bronco w/ 114k wanders like crazy. Once you drive it a while you get used to it but it definitely shouldn't have as much play as it does.

I just checked my bushings and they're in place, not cracked, but the again they are 26 years old... they could look fine but may not be doing anything.
Attached Thumbnails Is this a real solution for wandering steering?-photo846.jpg  

Last edited by me1234; 06-15-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That's one of several reasons a TIB/TTB truck can wander. But no professional alignment shop or tech should charge you for an alignment when there are ANY worn parts in the front suspension or steering systems. The first step in any alignment is to inspect all those parts for wear & damage, and those are probably the easiest parts to check. Click this, read the caption, and follow the link in the caption:

(phone app link)

But there are several other common wear points & known problems that may also need to be fixed to make your truck track normally.

We can help you more if we can see all your truck's details in your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Thank Steve!

To answer your question it's a 1993 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L w/ 114k miles. The main reason I don't have a signature is my family and I have a lot of Ford trucks(00 4.6L 2wd, 01 5.4L 4x4, 6.8L F-250 4x4, and a 7.3L Excursion.) They all have different options and I've used this forum to ask questions about all of them.

The Bronco's front suspension is almost all original. I've done lots of work on other parts of it but it's been able to pass a safety inspection and tbh coil springs kinda scare me. My Dad had a coil spring compressor break on him in the 80s. Thankfully he wasn't hurt but the wall in his garage got a nasty hole in it. Guess I need to either start working on it or farm out the work.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by me1234
Thank Steve!

To answer your question it's a 1993 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L w/ 114k miles. The main reason I don't have a signature is my family and I have a lot of Ford trucks(00 4.6L 2wd, 01 5.4L 4x4, 6.8L F-250 4x4, and a 7.3L Excursion.) They all have different options and I've used this forum to ask questions about all of them.

The Bronco's front suspension is almost all original. I've done lots of work on other parts of it but it's been able to pass a safety inspection and tbh coil springs kinda scare me. My Dad had a coil spring compressor break on him in the 80s. Thankfully he wasn't hurt but the wall in his garage got a nasty hole in it. Guess I need to either start working on it or farm out the work.
Don't need a compressor to change out springs on these trucks. And if it's all original, its time to look at springs, tie rods, gear box, ball joints, wheel bearings, radius arm bushings, axle pivot bushings, etc. All can cause sloppy steering.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

Get someone to turn the wheel back and forth(vehicle off) while your looking at your front end components see what's moving before it gets to wheels you know the tie rods ends and bushings while your looking see if the body is slightly moving back and forth you can see it just looking at front bumper that's wore bushings too
Old 06-17-2019, 12:07 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

To answer your question...
It was a suggestion - not a question. What you posted barely scratches the surface, and you'd have to remember to re-post it all every time so we don't have to scroll back looking for it each time. It's much easier to just put it in your signature once, and we'll always be able to find it.
The main reason I don't have a signature is my family and I have a lot of Ford trucks(00 4.6L 2wd, 01 5.4L 4x4, 6.8L F-250 4x4, and a 7.3L Excursion.) They all have different options and I've used this forum to ask questions about all of them.
Then put all of them in your signature. And when you ask a question, mention which truck you're asking about. But put ALL the details for each truck.

Quick Reply: Is this a real solution for wandering steering?