Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Probably a dumb question regarding emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Probably a dumb question regarding emissions

As I've posted before, I am in the process of completely restoring everything under the hood of my truck. One of those things being all rubber and vacuum lines. I plan on replacing my vapor canister as it just sits on the frame rail with nothing holding it in place. With replacing that canister, I plan on replacing the lines to and from it. What kind of tubing should I use? I tried looking it up only to find the premade lines which I'd rather do without. Does it need to be fuel line? or could I get away with cheaper stuff? TIA
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The canister is supposed to be attached to the battery mount. There should be a place for it to sort of clip in to and then 1 bolt near the top.
The line from the tank to the canister is just steel line. Get the right size o.d. line and a tube bender (kinda like a pair of pliers) and you should be good. It just directs gas fumes so nothing real special required.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The canister is supposed to be attached to the battery mount. There should be a place for it to sort of clip in to and then 1 bolt near the top.
The line from the tank to the canister is just steel line. Get the right size o.d. line and a tube bender (kinda like a pair of pliers) and you should be good. It just directs gas fumes so nothing real special required.
Thank you. Both mounting points of my canister were broken off and I didn't have the lower bracket on my battery tray. Spent some time at the junkyard today going through dnd grabbing all the mounts and brackets I'm missing and am currently in the process of removing my intake manifold to replace the leaking gasket. And I just now reminded myself to buy some scotchbrite.

Quick Reply: Probably a dumb question regarding emissions