Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Pinion Seal Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Pinion Seal Leaking

It was pretty apparent once I got up under the truck and saw the leak where the driveshaft connects to the differential, so the pinion seal is the culprit.

I have not done anything regarding research. I'll pull out my Haynes manual and start reading up on it tonight.

My question here is does anyone have any tips based on your previous experience(s) for a successful repair? I'm trying to get some background on it before I tackle it.

I've read some horror stories about improper installation and the differential going bad after 3,000 miles so I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. Even though I'm a one wheel bandit, the differential is in great shape. I do want to upgrade to limited slip at some point, but now is not the time.

Are any special tools outside of a puller and impact gun required?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

piece of cake...

pull the drive shaft and impact the yoke nut off and pull the yoke...check the yoke for seal ring wear... hope you have none... if you do then you either need a fix-it sleeve or do what i do and just grind and 1/8 off the end of the yoke... or find a good yoke...

If there is no seal ring wear then why is the seal leaking? possibly the pinion bearing is worn... what i do if it is is try to snug it up more or shim it...

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal Leaking