Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can

Has anyone used an oil catch can on their setup?
Old 02-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ReT_SqUiD
Has anyone used an oil catch can on their setup?
In the "Old days", before we assumed everything would be fixed automatically by the computer, there were many "checks" done by mechanics. One was to determine if an engine was getting a lot of blow-by, was to get engine hot, with engine still running pull the engine fill cap, if it were smoking, that was blow-by. If you're getting a lot of blow-by, and still have good compression, change oil, a higher weight syn oil, would be my first choice. If you are still getting a lot of blow-by, check compression again, if all else fails, get a catch can, keep track of "fill" rate, in a notebook left in car. If you're dumping out a lot of liquid, on a weekly basis (miles), you've got another problem, unless you are running hard (racing), heavy towing etc.. If not driving hard, and you're getting a lot of blow-by, this is an indication that something else in the system is *7((^%$up, stop driving the machine, find mechanic (real mechanic), fix now, fixing later will cost more money and more time.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:11 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Note: the post is 3 years old and there have been about 87 other catch can threads since then.

Why choosing this one to resurrect?

It surprises me how the search function offers old threads before new threads.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 16IngotFX4
Note: the post is 3 years old and there have been about 87 other catch can threads since then.

Why choosing this one to resurrect?

It surprises me how the search function offers old threads before new threads.
Actually I was responding to a thread "above" this one, but this was the "continuation", or, if you will, a closely related thread. I guess the "puter" chose the closely related, I responded, Hope this helps. 87 catch can threads? It seems those selling catch cans have invested well, with those they pay to stay on sites such as this one-and tout the virtues of catch cans. A common practice now days. BTW, ford has a large "presence" on the net, as I'm sure most mfgs do. The post I replied to may be three years old, but the "aos" question appears to be just as new today as it must have been three years ago! Much like, are coil springs as dodge uses, better or worse than the flat springs that ford uses......???? It's been going on for years.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get over it

Originally Posted by pawprint
Actually I was responding to a thread "above" this one, but this was the "continuation", or, if you will, a closely related thread. I guess the "puter" chose the closely related, I responded, Hope this helps. 87 catch can threads? It seems those selling catch cans have invested well, with those they pay to stay on sites such as this one-and tout the virtues of catch cans. A common practice now days. BTW, ford has a large "presence" on the net, as I'm sure most mfgs do. The post I replied to may be three years old, but the "aos" question appears to be just as new today as it must have been three years ago! Much like, are coil springs as dodge uses, better or worse than the flat springs that ford uses......???? It's been going on for years.
get the can and c the crap in it and u will b wondering wow, I'm running that in my engine, and also ford recommends u take ur vehicle 2 ford 4 service it works 4 me
Old 07-09-2022, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe kimball
get the can and c the crap in it and u will b wondering wow, I'm running that in my engine, and also ford recommends u take ur vehicle 2 ford 4 service it works 4 me
Joe, you old rascal you!!! Thanks for taking the time to read my old posts, it means lot to know how much you care! If you were to have read all my posts in this thread, there's one you missed, I draw your attention to 7 Feb of 2021 (it's been a while), please take the time to read it very carefully, you may find (or at least I hope you can find) where I stated, if a higher weight oil, (as long as you still have good compression) doesn't work-get the can! Now of course ford recommends you take your ford to ford for service! Can you imagine ford recommending you take your ford to chevy or dodge, or toyota for service? I can't. This is so obvious I'm shocked I'd have to point it out. Let's be real, if a catch can was necessary 100% of the time, I'm shocked it is not an OEM part, on all fords. I'm betting there are no fords with high milage that didn't add a catch can, thanks for your insight.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:27 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Since this is now the newest thread on the catch can debate I'll add this...

Some oil vapor under your valve covers is normal because hot oil is volatile. This vapor will make its way through the PCV valve to your upper intake, then lower intake, then into the cylinders where it is burned. All this to say that your intake will get coated with this blow-though oil vapor over time even if your engine is fairly tight. Older engine = more wear = more oily vapor as compression gas pushes up and through the oil passages by pressurizing the oil storage void (between the piston and the oil pan). Run a scope through your throttle body and you'll see what I'm talking about. Even the back of the throttle plates will get coated. Is this a bonafide problem? Hard to say. Maybe it affects airflow. Maybe it affects air quality. Maybe it's a fire hazard. Maybe it's a big bag of nothing. I don't really know, but i don't like it.

As for the valves, these engines use ported fuel injection (or whatever it's called) where the injector is placed in the intake ahead of the valves. Thus the fuel spray will keep your valves pretty clean with or without a catch can.

But, a catch can can intercept some (a lot) of this oily vapor and keep it out of your intake altogether. So, if any of the aformentioned items is a concern for you, then a catch can is an inexpensive option and worth the peace of mind of having it. If not, that's ok too.

Last edited by seschenburg; 07-15-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2022, 04:58 PM
95 F150 Xlt 5.0 efi 2wd

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Been 5 years now

[QUOTE=pawprint;7244681]Joe, you old rascal you!!! Thanks for taking the time to read my old posts, it means lot to know how much you care! If you were to have read all my posts in this thread, there's one you missed, I draw your attention to 7 Feb of 2021 (it's been a while), please take the time to read it very carefully, you may find (or at least I hope you can find) where I stated, if a higher weight oil, (as long as you still have good compression) doesn't work-get the can! Now of course ford recommends you take your ford to ford for service! Can you imagine ford recommending you take your ford to chevy or dodge, or toyota for service? I can't. This is so obvious I'm shocked I'd have to point it out. Let's be real, if a catch can was necessary 100% of the time, I'm shocked it is not an OEM part, on all fords. I'm betting there are no fords with high milage that didn't add a catch can, thanks for your

Hey guys I put a can on my 95 5.0 f150 xlt this past year saw it on u tube my son dais it saw a doog aedi so I checked it out the other day its got a cute Lil dip stick but ain't nothing on it I haven't Taken cyclender off to see but not a smidge a nuttin on that stick I guess that's a good Thang itz so clean inside nothing to show .
The following users liked this post:
pawprint (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 07:01 PM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

Ford won't put catch cans on vehicles because when people don't maintenance them it can lead to worse issues. Yes the engine can last never having one. But does that make it a good idea? Regardless of the vehicles ability to take oil and water back in through the combustion cycle it doesn't make it a great idea. If you REALLY care about your vehicle get one, and ensure you keep it empty and cleaned so it never clogs up. Then, it will be worth the money IMO.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:50 AM

Same thing can and should be said regarding, normal items such as: oil change (with filter) with correct filter, air filter change, utilizing correct filter, etc. It is not ford's fault that some people may not follow instruction on when to change fluids/or do regular/important maintenance. And let's be clear, an oil catch can may be illegal in some states (maybe all), and this board does not allow any discussion of illegal activities to include street racing etc. I assume the addition of an oil catch can is just for discussion, and not meant to encourage anyone to break any law.

Last edited by pawprint; 08-10-2022 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can