Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

OBD1 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OBD1 Codes

Just bought a new truck, 1993 F-150 with a 302. Check engine light is on, and I'm getting a rough idle every once and a while, which I originally thought to be either bad gas or a failing fuel pump, I switched to the auxillary tank and still have the same problem so I'm doubting it's either of those, as I filled up with 91 at two different stations for the tanks.
Pulled the codes with my code reader and I'm getting 111, 10, 327, 332, and 628.

Looks like 327 is "EGR feedback signal is/was low - EVR or PFE",
332 is "EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE", and 628 is "
Excessive converter clutch slippage - Transmissions" any idea what these might mean and how I should go about troubleshooting them?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by WuTang
Just bought a new truck, 1993 F-150 with a 302. Check engine light is on, and I'm getting a rough idle every once and a while, which I originally thought to be either bad gas or a failing fuel pump, I switched to the auxillary tank and still have the same problem so I'm doubting it's either of those, as I filled up with 91 at two different stations for the tanks.
Pulled the codes with my code reader and I'm getting 111, 10, 327, 332, and 628.

Looks like 327 is "EGR feedback signal is/was low - EVR or PFE",
332 is "EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE", and 628 is "
Excessive converter clutch slippage - Transmissions" any idea what these might mean and how I should go about troubleshooting them?

try cleaning your egr valve, check that it's getting vacuum, test the EVP voltage open and closed, replace if needed, ultimately, replace the EGR if none of that works.

for the converter slippage.... I don't know all the stuff to look for on that. there was just another thread about it, look at all the posts from the last 2 days and find it. there may be some suggestions there (or just run a search)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Might have a vacum leak going to EGR valve or the EGR vacum solenoid might be bad as far as the converter clutch slippage code 628 I just dealt with this my self. My torque converter was shot I could turn my overdrive off and it wouldn't slip but that just bought me some time.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by jrh5610
Might have a vacum leak going to EGR valve or the EGR vacum solenoid might be bad as far as the converter clutch slippage code 628 I just dealt with this my self. My torque converter was shot I could turn my overdrive off and it wouldn't slip but that just bought me some time.
See, I'm thinking that might be my issue. I was at my grandparents house last night and reading my manual about overdrive and it says there should be a light that comes on when OD is off (OFF on the shifter) but mine does not do this. I pressed the button and nothing happened. As I was backing out of the driveway they noticed I was leaking a little fluid, looked to be coming from the bellhousing, I checked again where the truck was an there was a little fluid.

Then I was driving home and I gave it some gas at 50 to get to 60MPH and the whole front end of the truck seemed to shudder, enough to rattle the window on the passenger side.
I let off the gas, attempted to get up to 60 MPH again and right at around 55 it did it again. Went home, drove it a few hours later, punched it, nothing happened. Went to the gas station to get something to drink, tried to get it to do it again on the way home and it did it some more.

I tried pressing the OD button again and attempting it again and now it doesn't seem to do it.
So you had this issue, replaced the TC and the issue went away?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I done a complete rebuild the torque converter itself was going to around $250 for a decent one found a transmission shop that would rebuild the tranny for $850 including a heavy-duty torque converter
Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM

I took it to my mechanic today, who is very familiar with Broncos and Fords in general and he found the EGR problem right off the bat, I didn't even look at it yet and the vac line literally was disconnected lol. That issue was fixed, he checked the tranny fluid, said it looked and smelled fine and said that a lot of these can be fixed by using an additive, something called 'shudder fix'?
Came in a tube that looked really similar to this:
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+...nt+Shudder+Fix
He said it takes around 200 miles for it to thoroughly work through the system, took the column apart and found the issue to be the wires breaking right at the shifter and said that he could sauder them, but because of the angle we'd be replacing it again soon, so I opted for a new column shifter and he ordered the part.
Took me to the MVD to get it registered while his mechanic finished up and when we came back the barbeque was done and he gave me lunch at the shop. Bill came out to be $100.00, and he said about $150 including labor when the part comes in for the column shifter.

Quick Reply: OBD1 Codes