Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Intake question

i have the double intake tubes with no MAFS

i have these two big KnN air filters laying around so i decided to adapt
it on to my truck. removing the old big box, and putting a small filter on the oil breather.

is this going to affect my performance at all or do anything ?
i didnt really feel a difference but i did notice i hear the truck breathing now.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they flow alot better than stock does that's for sure
Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Semper Fi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends what else you have on the engine. If you have a completely stock engine it won't help much. It'll breath better, but without other performance parts there's not much reason for it to breath better. The stock intake was designed to be the best fit with the stock engine. But if you are going for performance or mpg increase the better flow will help other performance parts function better. If you have a stock engine the stock intake is just fine, but putting the KnN stuff on will definitely not hurt.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGreen (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

okay thanks.

yeah i dont have much i guess.

intake, headers and exhaust.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Semper Fi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the intake will help breath better. That coupled with the exhaust will let the engine have free flowing air. As long as it's laying around I would throw it on there. It will help your mpg and performance some.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Search the site for cold air and warm air. We have many long detailed discussions about the advantage and disadvantage of theses setups. The short story, some say warm air gives better mpg, others disagree. All agree the larger air filters allow more air to flow. Please take a minute to search these, I can't do both sides justice in a short post. Here's my opinion. The stock snorkle brings in cooler denser air from a high pressure location in front of the radiator mount which should be at a higher velocity. This should create more torque. Replace the stock filter with a drop in high flow.and your set. The twin tubes create 2 small diameter runners with total volume equal to the intake. With means same volume, higher velocity than one tube. Higher velocity equals more torque. That is why the mustang has a single large opening. More flow more high end HP. K&N's top of the line intake for this system uses the stock intake snorkle into a high flow conical filter to a redesigned runner. They claim 20 HP and 10 ft/lbs gain and some mpg for about $200. I use a drop in K&N type filter and got a slight gain for $20. Finally removing the box makes the intake and exhaust a little louder.

Quick Reply: New Intake question