Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New 88 f150 xlt lariat 5.8 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 88 f150 xlt lariat 5.8 Help!

Good afternoon everyone,
Just picked up this truck for work a week ago, and now having these issues:
Mid throttle bog/ shake- getting into gas, works good, once I back off and try to re apply, I get heavy shaking... If I mash the gas, it kicks out of it until I have to get off the gas and re apply

Truck also stalls when it gets warmed up and then won't fire until cool.... May be starter

Have replaced:
Egr and pos sensor(code- egr not opening)
Cap, wires, rotor, plugs (tune up)
Re did all vac lines with silicone hoses(ford plastic)
Cleaned iac (forum suggestion)
Thermostat(tune up)
Battery-(dead)
Fuel filter

Thinking it might be the dizz pip, map sensor or coil

Only code I get is egr thermactor

Loosing my patience as I need it for work
Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Surprised some of our more knowledgeable members haven't responded yet, so I'll offer up a couple of ideas for consideration...
Throttle position sensor, on the underside of the butterfly assembly. Sometimes it'll throw a code, sometimes not. When mine failed, had the heavy shaking you described on acceleration unless feather-footing or mashing the pedal.
Control valve for the EGR - follow the vacuum tubing from the valve around to its mounting on the driver-side rear of the intake manifold. This has a little foam filter on its underside which was plugged solid on mine - I suppose it's to let air in allowing the valve to close, not able to do so on mine, causing EGR position faults. An EGR not in the right position could also cause some of the rough running issues with your shaking problem.
Somewhat confused on your stalling description - does it just up and die when warm, or once warm won't restart after stopping? Since you suspect the starter, does that mean it won't even roll over? Is the timing set properly?
Suggest if you go to replacing parts, don't go cheap or it will cost you either in additional dollars or sheer aggravation.
Hope this helps. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckerj1127
Just picked up this truck...
'88 Lariat 5.8L isn't much for us to go on. The more we know about the truck, the more-likely we can give you useful suggestions. Click this, read the caption, and put ALL its details into your signature so we can review them with each reply:

(phone app link)
...a week ago, and now having these issues:
Are you saying it had NONE of these issues when you bought it? They all appeared this week?
Mid throttle bog/ shake- getting into gas, works good, once I back off and try to re apply, I get heavy shaking... If I mash the gas, it kicks out of it until I have to get off the gas and re apply
What do the spark plugs look like? What's the fuel pressure? Are the engine/trans mounts broken? Are there any exhaust leaks? What's the compression? What do you mean by "kicks out of it"? Do you mean the transmission kicks down? Put the trans model in your signature with all the other details.
Truck also stalls when it gets warmed up and then won't fire until cool.... May be starter
No, the starter can't cause the engine to stall while driving, and it has nothing to do with the plugs firing. Buy a Haynes manual (after reading this caption), and read it cover-to-cover at least once:

(phone app link)
Have replaced:
Egr and pos sensor(code- egr not opening)
Neither the EGR nor the EVP causes the EGR to open, so neither of them will fix that fault.
Cap, wires, rotor, plugs (tune up)
EFIs re-tune themselves ~200x per second, so they never need tune-ups; only maintenance (according to the published schedule) & repairs (after diagnosis of faults).
Cleaned iac (forum suggestion)
Did you disassemble it first? If not, it's probably ruined.
Thermostat(tune up)
The thermostat does not tune the engine. What was wrong with the original t'stat? What brand/PN/source is the replacement?
Battery-(dead)
Did it die this week? Did you attempt to charge it, or diagnose the charging system? If not, the replacement will probably be dead soon.
Thinking it might be the dizz pip, map sensor or coil
Don't guess blindly. Pick ONE symptom, and diagnose it until you positively ID the fault, and repair it. Then start over, re-checking if any of the other symptoms were coincidentally repaired.
Only code I get is egr thermactor
Don't pick a word or part name out of a code definition. Post each code number and the COMPLETE definition. Click this & read the caption:

​​​​
(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 12-09-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New 88 f150 xlt lariat 5.8 Help!