Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need help QUICKLY! Truck died and need to get it back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help QUICKLY! Truck died and need to get it back on the road

I was driving to work this morning, and I crossed an overpass 1.5mi from work, and the truck just shut off. It didnt sputter, bog, buck, it just straight up died. I just went up and looked at it, it seems the fuel pump closest to the engine died. Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? I looked under the dash and according to the little fuse guide, there is no fuse for the fuel pump. I made sure there was gas in it, I keyed on, and I heard NOTHING from the fuel pump. Any ideas? I need to get this back on the road tonight. I filled up last night, but only put in like 5 gallons I believe. I threw 2 gallons in there just now, just to ENSURE it had gas.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM

no back tank to switch to?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Back tank is the only one being used atm. Truck has a hole in the front tank, havent had a chance to fix it yet as I just bought it last wednesday.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

hmm same here. well your best bet is to replace the fuel pump if you dont here it prime. i know i can easily hear mine when i turn the key
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM

external pump or internal pump?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Went to the parts store, guy gave me the wrong fuel pump, he gave me the in tank pump instead of the external. I took it back, but at the same time I picked up a fuel pump relay and changed it. I cant afford to get the external pump at the moment ($94), but right now I dont think it really matters. I changed the fuel pump relay (green underhood), nothing changed, still doesnt start and still cant hear the fuel pump. I also checked the crash/inertia switch, and it seems to be good as well (it is down, but I have also tried it up and doesnt work). I checked, I have NO fuel at the rail, at least according to the port on the back of the fuel rail. I was driving when it cut off, so it probably just burned all the fuel that was left in the rail.

Any ideas before I have to spend $100 on a new external? I dont know if they have the rear tank internal working, or anything, as they have a rubber line ran back to the back tank, not using the factory gas lines at all (very stupid of them, but I have to get it running again before I can fix things that ARENT required at the moment), so the only pump that I can CONFIRM isnt working, is the external.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Just went out and pulled the codes, even though I wasnt showing a CEL (at least when I checked this morning, prior to it dying. I dont know for sure if there was a CEL when it died). Here is what I pulled using the KOEO method:

67 - Park/Neutral Fault

95 - (97LE Method) - Transmission SS 5 (VPS)
-or-
95 - (KOEO) - Fuel pump: open, bad ground or always on
-or-
95 - (KOEO) - AIR not Diverting (AIRD)
-or-
95 - (MEM) - Possible bad fuel pump ground or open between fuel pump and pin 8 at PCM (fuel pump monitor signal)

Since I did the KOEO method, I would have to imagine that it is not the SS. It may be the fuel pump is open/bad ground, but it apparently isnt on all the time. 95 MEM doesnt apply at this time, I dont think, because even if the monitor signal wasnt going to the PCM, I would imagine the pump would still be working. I guess I will check the grounds, make sure all the connectors are on there tight, and if not, then I guess I will be changing the external pump next.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM

just went out and checked the connections on the fuel pump, pulled them off, moved them around, and slid the fuel pump back and forth. seems like the fuel pump has a grounding issue, which I will have to address tomorrow. at least for now I can go home.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You said the rear fuel pump might not be working. That is something you want to make sure works, because if it isnt, that front pump is going to burn out from working too hard if it isn't dead already. Did moving the connections make the external pump run?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM

I moved the connections, pulled them off, put them back on, slid the pump front to back and it started up. Either there is a loose connection, bad ground, or the pump itself is dying. Even though it started, drove home, and drove back to work today, I still havent heard the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Need help QUICKLY! Truck died and need to get it back on the road