Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

need help with my '96!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my '96!

i have no idea what is going on... it starts fine, drives fine, warms up and starts to stumble and lug and dies when i take a corner. start it back up and it runs fine. the thing is this dosent happen all the time, sometimes it dosent happen witch is wat baffles me. now this only happens in the winter. could this be an electical issiue or a sensor screwing up. its been to a mechanic and it wouldnt screw up when i wanted it to, but in explaining it to him he checked it out and didnt find a thing wrong with it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

its a 302 with 3 speed automatic with overdrive. the engine jus stalls, i still have electrical power.

Last edited by bloodjunkie; 01-31-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodjunkie
i have no idea what is going on... it starts fine, drives fine, warms up and starts to stumble and lug and dies when i take a corner. start it back up and it runs fine. the thing is this dosent happen all the time, sometimes it dosent happen witch is wat baffles me. now this only happens in the winter. could this be an electical issiue or a sensor screwing up. its been to a mechanic and it wouldnt screw up when i wanted it to, but in explaining it to him he checked it out and didnt find a thing wrong with it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks
I can't help with the problem, but to make it easier for the others to assess the problem, you will want to list the engine/transmission that is in your truck. When it "dies," does it lose all eletrical power or does the engine just stall but you still have electrical power?

Somebody here should be able to help, give them a chance to find your post and answer it. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Start by cleaning, then testing your IAC. Report what you find.
See link: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29

Error code scan would say for sure, but if IAC ok, Possibly a problem w/ MAF sensor. Could just be dirty. MAF or Electronic Contact cleaner only. Don't touch filaments w/ anything, especially your fingers.

See Dewmans Signiture info:
1996 F150 Scab longbed, 5.8L, 4x4, 31x10.5 tires, 168k miles and counting. nerf bars, low-profile tool box, Euro-clear turn signals & headlights, Euro taillights, vent visors, class III Reese hitch, Tekonsha brake controller.

All his info's there if he needs help w/ anything. The only reason I don't, is I've refitted my truck w/ components made of superior materials not found on earth. Either that, or I'm really not driving it that much lately for anything to quit working.

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-31-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Start by cleaning, then testing your IAC. Report what you find.
See link: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29

Error code scan would say for sure, but if IAC ok, Possibly a problem w/ MAF sensor. Could just be dirty. MAF or Electronic Contact cleaner only. Don't touch filaments w/ anything, especially your fingers.

See Dewmans Signiture info:
1996 F150 Scab longbed, 5.8L, 4x4, 31x10.5 tires, 168k miles and counting. nerf bars, low-profile tool box, Euro-clear turn signals & headlights, Euro taillights, vent visors, class III Reese hitch, Tekonsha brake controller.

All his info's there if he needs help w/ anything. The only reason I don't, is I've refitted my truck w/ components made of superior materials not found on earth. Either that, or I'm really not driving it that much lately for anything to quit working.
thanks ill give that a try.