Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need advice on buying a 1994 f150

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice on buying a 1994 f150

Hey everyone. I've always loved the OBS f150s. I'm pretty close with my pastor, and he said his dad wants to sell his 94 F150. My question is, about what price range should I be looking to pay, and what issues should I look out for/Specific things to check?

Here's what I know about the truck:
-5.0 V8
-Auto tranny
-Reg cab short bed
-2wd
-Miles are "very low" (He couldn't remember the exact mileage, but its been owned by an old man that just puts it around town)
-Exterior and Interior are "in very good shape" (Said exterior could use a good wash and wax but no dents or big scratches)
-Tires are "A couple of years old" (Not sure if that means they need to be replaces ASAP or just eventually)
-He did mention that it needed "Injector work done" that was quoted at $450 from the dealership
-No rust (Southern truck, but no trucks have rust in Alabama)
-Said it's been kept up on all maintenance

I don't have a picture (yet), But below is a truck with the same description. So given that it's in "Pretty nice" shape, what do you think a good price range would be? I'm thinking 2000-3000, depending on the condition. And what should I specifically look for on the test drive?

Name:  mSwmYOk.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  73.0 KB

Last edited by Tredeh; 04-18-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

You are pretty much spot on in your thinking of 2-3K. I'd find out a little more about the injector work that it needs. It might be something you could do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. But generally speaking it sounds like a good find - you always look for those old guys who only put a couple thousand miles per year on their trucks.

I'd budget $500 or so for just basic tune-up type of stuff when you buy it - spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fluid changes, and maybe brakes. If it has REALLY low mileage there is a good chance some of those things have never been changed.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
You are pretty much spot on in your thinking of 2-3K. I'd find out a little more about the injector work that it needs. It might be something you could do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. But generally speaking it sounds like a good find - you always look for those old guys who only put a couple thousand miles per year on their trucks.

I'd budget $500 or so for just basic tune-up type of stuff when you buy it - spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fluid changes, and maybe brakes. If it has REALLY low mileage there is a good chance some of those things have never been changed.
Yeah, I'm not sure about the injectors. I do all my own work and I'm sure I could replace them myself if need be.
I wasn't even in the market for a truck, but It sounds like a good deal to me. I'm not sure what "low mileage" is but I assume under 150,000.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:56 PM

Bump. What are some known problems with the 302? Not sure which trans. Just want some more opinions.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 223 Likes on 198 Posts

Didn't experience any significant problems with the 5.0L. Had a intake manifold gasket start leaking around 175K miles, but other than that, just stuff here and there that I would consider understandable given the age and miles of the truck - water pump, EGR control solenoid, IAC control solenoid. Never had any trouble within the block and heads areas.

FWIW, the truck in your picture is a long bed. I am thinking more in the $2K range or less, unless the truck is in near pristine shape.

Overall, that truck generation was a solid performer, with few problems. One thing you might eyeball is the front end height. Springs have been known to sag with age, causing wear on the inner sides of the tires. IMO, just replacing the springs is not terribly expensive, and better than trying to bring the alignment in. Injector work, while not unheard of, is unusual - maybe nothing more than a cleaning needed either in the tank or professionally shot through.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Didn't experience any significant problems with the 5.0L. Had a intake manifold gasket start leaking around 175K miles, but other than that, just stuff here and there that I would consider understandable given the age and miles of the truck - water pump, EGR control solenoid, IAC control solenoid. Never had any trouble within the block and heads areas.

FWIW, the truck in your picture is a long bed. I am thinking more in the $2K range or less, unless the truck is in near pristine shape.

Overall, that truck generation was a solid performer, with few problems. One thing you might eyeball is the front end height. Springs have been known to sag with age, causing wear on the inner sides of the tires. IMO, just replacing the springs is not terribly expensive, and better than trying to bring the alignment in. Injector work, while not unheard of, is unusual - maybe nothing more than a cleaning needed either in the tank or professionally shot through.
Thanks. I actually didnt notice the picture was of the long bed lol. From what I've read all the engines from that generation (300, 302, 351) are all solid. But yeah, unless its like new I'm thinking 2500 would be a good price.

I havent driven it so I don't know what the "injector issues" are, but I think it could be something some seafoam can fix.

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a 1994 f150