Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Missing Trans Bolts & Leaking Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Missing Trans Bolts & Leaking Fluid?

1995 Ford F150 XL, V6, Manual Trans, 176xxx miles

Climbed under my truck today looking for the red switch or sensor on the side of the transmission that connects to my backup lights. While under there I noticed some "wet" areas around the transmission. I've only had this pickup for a few months and never noticed this before; however, I never really looked here.

To me it looks like I'm missing 3 bolts, right? It's wet all around these three threaded holes...so I can only guess I'm missing some? Here's a pic:

Then, on the back, flat side of the trans, I can't tell if it's wet from the area above it or if it's leaking from the gasket directly above the flat wet area. Here's a pic of that spot below:

See the wet area on the flat side between the bottom two bolts? I wiped my finger over it and it's wet, but no active "drip" or "puddle" on the ground underneath.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Those three holes are probably to bolt something else on for a different application. I would doubt they would go all the way in, but you can check with a piece of coathanger wire.
I think that would be your oil pressure sender and your dipstick tube right there. I would suspect those are a likely cause of oil leakage.
The following users liked this post:
Leaf_Chaser (12-18-2014)

Quick Reply: Missing Trans Bolts & Leaking Fluid?