Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Leveling stock height; springs or spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Leveling stock height; springs or spacers?

I'm wanting to get rid of the stock 2" drop in the front of my 95 F150. Questions here being, I was told that these trucks drop in the front end from the factory? I measured the height difference, round about 2" from in front ofthe rear tires and behind the front.
I'm wondering if just replacing the springs up front with OE height will level it up, or if I'll still need to add the 2" springs/spacers? If so, are delrin spacers trustworthy or would it be better to go with springs? Last question, I'll still have to upgrade my camber adjustment nut, won't I?

Last edited by Bibo1985; 03-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
For the People

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2" stock drop will not be fixed by adding OE springs, since all that will do it counteract any sag your current springs have, while still keeping the 2" drop. The difference between springs and spacers is ride quality and price. You can get new springs that are higher than OE height to level it out or can get the coil spacers to level it out. Springs are more expensive than spacers, but they'll give you a more comfortable ride too. I don't know about the brands or the camber nut, but you'll want to get an alignment after you level it out.

I originally wanted to get the leveling springs, but decided that, since I don't go offroading or really need a fine-tuned suspension, I'd rather save the money and go with the spacers. You can find them on ebay for $50.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not done it yet, but here's what I plan on installing. (Springs)
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=163

Last edited by HoosierBlake; 03-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you'll burn through those 1.5 " springs in no time, and you'll be sitting exactlly where the truck sat when it rolled off the show room floor.

just get the spacers, cheeper and your not going bajain' in it so you wont have to worry.

as far as the camber nut if you take it to a quality shop or a ford dealer to do the alignment they should change the bushing in there to the right one, and if they didnt then you know they didnt align it right.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks fellas! I'll probably go with leveling springs. Not planning to go wild in it, but I do live in NE GA, and some of our dirt roads are what some folks call "trails"
Any brands I should steer clear of, or any preferred? I'm new to truck suspension, so kinda wandering aimlessy in that dept.
On the bright side of things, according to the chilton manual my 2.73 rear end gives me 5 extra ft. lbs of torque and sacrifices 5 HP conversely.
I'm gonna shop arounds for a DECENT suspension shop, got a bunch around here to choose from.
Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I put coil over shocks up front, that might have raised it 1", and put 2" lowering shackles in the back. With stock size tires it measures 32" at top of the wheel well in the front and 33" in the back.

I did not want to mess with the alignment, so I went with this option.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
I put coil over shocks up front, that might have raised it 1", and put 2" lowering shackles in the back. With stock size tires it measures 32" at top of the wheel well in the front and 33" in the back.

I did not want to mess with the alignment, so I went with this option.
Only problem with this route is that I wanna keep the height in the rear and just bring up the front to level it out. I've heard the delrin spacers won't settle or start to sag like some polyurethane spacers will. I know from what little I've dealt with delrin tenons (pipe making) that it's some tuff stuff, and self lubricating. I've drilled it @ 2,800RPM with no bit wander or smoke.

Quick Reply: Leveling stock height; springs or spacers?