Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

La Forza 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts
Default La Forza 5.0

I just did a job on an interesting vehicle. Its a 1989 Rayton Fissore LaForza. It's an Italian luxury SUV originally intended as a military vehicle. It was designed by Tom Tjaarda, who worked on the Pantera, Lamborghini Diabolo, Shelby series 2 etc. It looks a bit like a Range Rover and has serious military grade axles under it. So why do we care? The power plant in the v8 model is our beloved 5.0 mated to an AOD and a NP229. Cool Italian style, European leather and a good old Ford under the hood. I was tempted to tell the guy it was beyond repair and make him an offer. In reality it needs a radiator ( which we had to have custom made ) replace the notorious cracked exhaust manifold, new thermostat, hoses, valve cover gasket, and trans pan gasket and it runs like a dream. My only problem is the torsion bar front suspension. Makes it ride a bit like a bouncy Chevy. I don't know how Chevy guys can live with that torsion bar bounce. Anyway just thought I'd share.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures would have made this post moar awesome
But it sounds like an interesting vehicle. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

to me it looks like a damn jacked up datsun station wagon.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll try to get some pics before the customer picks it up. For some reason that red one looks strange. Maybe a different year or maybe the color just makes it look bad. The engine bay is awesome. There are no plastic fenders in the way. Instead its open beyond the frame rails and metal fenders wrap the wheels to prevent splash. The hood is cut below the intake manifold so you can easily work on the engine. The offset axles provide lots of ground clearance without the need for a lift similar to the Hummer.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator search Lafroza

Originally Posted by Warlockk
I just did a job on an interesting vehicle. Its a 1989 Rayton Fissore LaForza. It's an Italian luxury SUV originally intended as a military vehicle. It was designed by Tom Tjaarda, who worked on the Pantera, Lamborghini Diabolo, Shelby series 2 etc. It looks a bit like a Range Rover and has serious military grade axles under it. So why do we care? The power plant in the v8 model is our beloved 5.0 mated to an AOD and a NP229. Cool Italian style, European leather and a good old Ford under the hood. I was tempted to tell the guy it was beyond repair and make him an offer. In reality it needs a radiator ( which we had to have custom made ) replace the notorious cracked exhaust manifold, new thermostat, hoses, valve cover gasket, and trans pan gasket and it runs like a dream. My only problem is the torsion bar front suspension. Makes it ride a bit like a bouncy Chevy. I don't know how Chevy guys can live with that torsion bar bounce. Anyway just thought I'd share.
Can you provide more details on that radiator? I'm bringing my old L back to life and it's running pretty warm only when not moving. Fan and clutch seem fine. Looks like the previous owner didn't know about only using distilled water in a cooling system, as I'm finding some calcium carbonate deposits at most hose connections.

Thanks!

Chris
'89 Laforza with 5.8 Lightning swap

Quick Reply: La Forza 5.0