Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

KOEO codes 211 & 334, Distributor Choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:07 AM
All That Is Man

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KOEO codes 211 & 334, Distributor Choices

I bought a 95 F150 5.0 auto a few weeks ago and am going through and fixing several things. I did a tune up last week. Motorcraft plugs and wires, MSD cap, rotor, and coil. I got a code reader after I did all of this because I would get a CEL from time to time when I was driving and the truck seems to have trouble deciding between 3rd and overdrive when I'm cruising around 55. I pulled the KOEO codes and got 211 and 334. Of the two, I figure 211 needs to be addressed first.

From what I've seen, I may as well replace the whole distributor rather than trying to replace just the PIP. The distributors I've seen range from from $65 Powerselect on Rockauto to $300 MSD on Summit. It's just a stock motor with 200k+ miles on it and I don't plan on doing much more than an intake and exhaust on it, so is the Powerselect or Spectra good enough or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

After this, any advice on the 334 code?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

When I had a bad PIP I got a salvage yard distributor for $40 and its still running strong 2 years later.

The 334 could just be a vacuum leak - check the lines running to your EGR valve and sensor. I would strongly recommend replacing all of the vacuum lines if they have not been replaced before - 5/32" rubber hose will do most of it.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the dreaded 211 error also. I had already done new plugs, wires, rotor, checked timing (it needed these anyway), same error. Replaced distributor (seemed a little loose after >200K miles), coil (sure , why not), ICM (what the hell, I've gone this far), same error. Verified that the harness shorting issue wasn't the problem (there's a TSB for this on here somewhere), same error. Finally pulled the computer and opened it up. Sure enough, the little capacitors were leaking. Replaced the PCM and no more 211 code.

Moral of the story - Whether it's looking for your keys or troubleshooting a problem, the last place or thing you check always solves the problem, so always check the last thing first. It's cheaper and quicker in the long run. (enter sarcastic laugh here)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check if the metal plate on top of the shaft is pressed on or bolted (under the cap).
Some of them you can remove the plate and change the pip.