Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Killing starters?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:10 PM
rps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killing starters?

I've got a '91 F150 with some serious starter issues. Swapped out the old one for a reman, threw it in, and nothing. Pulled the reman out, tested it and it was bad. Returned it for another reman, and had it tested at the store just to be sure. Came back and threw it in the truck, and again nothing. Pulled it out, tested it, and it was blown. Any ideas about why this could be happening?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

What do you mean by 'blown', and how are you testing it?

Most problems with starters that I've dealt with are related to poor connections and cables - which could explain the 'not working' part, but not the 'blown' part. So - at this point, no ideas, but thinking on it. :-)
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
rps

Thanks for the relpy!

By blown I mean when I apply 12v directly to the starter from a charged battery the starter does nothing, and that's how I tested it. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by rps
Thanks for the relpy!

By blown I mean when I apply 12v directly to the starter from a charged battery the starter does nothing, and that's how I tested it. Any ideas?
POS to the connection. NEG to the case?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
American Pride!!

I would quit buying reman's. There's nothing better than a quality part from Ford. Theres nothing wrong except the shotty work some flunky did on your reman'd starter. For critical parts its worth the extra money, I promise.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most reman shops do not put the arm on a growler to test for bad spots. These spots seem to end up under the brushes. When you have a bad arm the starter will not turn over at all. Just spinning once or twice on a tester does not produce the same drag that turning over the vehicle does so the action of the bendix coming out to engage the flywheel usually turns the starter motor just enough to contact a good spot on the arm and act like nothings wrong.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol yea get away from reman starters stop goin to vatozone or simular stores iv never had a problem with napa or the ford parts from the dealer lil more money but worth it in the long run, now for y u blow them get ur dvom out and start testin all ur wires make sure thers no shorts and that all ur connectors are good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Killing starters?