Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition system

I have an 89 f150, straight 6, 4wd...My issue is when the engine gets good and hot, it won't start again unless I give it 30 min or so to cool down...It acts like a dead battery, lights and all work, but the engine won't crank...I've replaced the starter, battery, cables, solenoid...I can't figure out what is going bad when hot...
Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Kelderhouse
I have an 89 f150, straight 6, 4wd...
All the truck's details should be in your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)
...the engine won't crank.
If the starter doesn't engage & spin when the key is in START, diagnose the cranking circuit. The R/LB wire at the starter relay (near the battery) should be 12V when the key is in RUN; and any time there's 12V at the relay's small terminal, it should snap loud and have 12V on both of the large terminals. Click these & read all the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
I've replaced the starter, battery, cables, solenoid.
Why? What diagnostic test did each one fail? Did each replacement pass the same test? For each replacement; what's its brand, PN, & source?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed everything out one at a time...When it wouldn't start again, I knew I had not found the problem...The starter may crank the first time, even turning the engine slowly...Then, it's dead battery syndrome...30 minutes later, bam, starts like it never had an issue...

Quick Reply: ignition system