Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition Swith problem ? I think !

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Swith problem ? I think !

Hey ! New to the forum. Have a question and please bear with me, I'm not mechanically inclined. I've owned an 87 4x4 with a 300 inline six for the past 7 years. No major problems. Love the truck. I had a problem with the truck not wanting to stay running unless I kept pressure on the key while in the run position. After reading around and asking around I decided to install a new ignition switch. After instalation my engine will not turn over. It would start fine before the new switch, idle good, run good but just had to hold light pressure on the key. The switch and tumbler will go to all phases smooth ( accessories, lock, run, start ) but won't turn over. It has started twice since instalation of new switch but after cutting the key off it will not fire again. Please help. Out of ideas accept for thinking the new switch may be faulty. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 AM

You might start thinking about either the distributer or ignition coil pack or as you said a faulty ignition switch.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe where there smoke there is fire..... not literally. Your truck ran before the new switch. Now it doesn't. Logic would say there is a problem with the new switch. Logic would also say there is a problem with the linkage from the key down to the switch. And... that the old switch may not have a problem at all.

The gurus will correct me if Im wrong.. but I think there is a trouble area in the column where the tumbler connects to the linkage on our trucks. I think it gets sloppy and doesn't actuate the rod as good as it should. Or... they may have a completely different idea.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Sounds about right. That ignition switch should be adjustable also do loosen the bolts that mount it to the column and slide it toward the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Nicon (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 AM

The new switch was not faulty. I just did not have it positioned on the column correctly. Everything is working tip top now. Thanks for the post and the help.

Quick Reply: Ignition Swith problem ? I think !