Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

If you get a different engine, but same type...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If you get a different engine, but same type...

My question is if you get the same engine type eg. 5.0 replaced with a 5.0, do you have to get the computer from the donor, or can i use the same computer.
And if i somehow get a mustang engine 5.0, would that computer be compatible with my AOD, if the mustang had an automatic?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine is the same type ie mass air or speed density you will not have to change computers. If the mustang also has the AOD tranny then you might be able to use the computer, I am not sure on the interchange on computers.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

you can use the same computer but you cant use a manual computer in an auto car
Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 04FX4F150
you can use the same computer but you cant use a manual computer in an auto car
How does the computer take into account the electronic and non electronic transmission if it used the same computer for each. I thought the AOD and Manual used the same computer based on the lack of feedback through the computers that each has.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen a Toyota Celica (yea, i know it's not a Ford) being converted from auto to manual. They had to replace a computer (it was OBD2 though) - it ran but it was getting terrible MPG. I suppose that it's because of different algorythms of engine work with manual & auto gearboxes
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM

OK, that sounds good. What I want to do is get a engine here while I can from a junkyard or something (I have hook ups here in mississippi) and take it back home with me and rebuild it and get it nice and clean and what not and redo all the gaskets and stuff, and then when I get ready, replace it with the stock one. Its getting terribly funny lately.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The base engine doesn't care, be careful of year and firing order. (Camshaft). Rest of the stuff you will have to use the origional.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
The base engine doesn't care, be careful of year and firing order. (Camshaft). Rest of the stuff you will have to use the origional.
You really should also change the crankshaft also, just changing cams means that some cylinders fire early and others fire late. The cam and crankshaft are timed together to ensure that the fire happens on all cylinders at the same crank position, if you change firing order of just the cam there will be cylinders that are not at the proper firing position.

Quick Reply: If you get a different engine, but same type...