Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I have returned for knowledge - sluggish 95

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Quantum mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have returned for knowledge - sluggish 95

Hello again my long lost compadres,
I am once again the proud(ish) owner of a 1995 F150, 302/AOD/2wd
I just bought this and here is what it is doing; starts and idles great, revs just fine sitting still, going down the road it takes off like a shot then gets sluggish and then finally feels like it's running out of power if I try to accelerate and it doesn't like to downshift unless I mash the pedal. Also burns thru gas like nobodies business, which is painful at $4.09 a gallon

So far I have tried:
Replaced O2 sensor
Cleaned the "filling" out of the cat where the 2 down pipes come together although it does look like there is a second cat just down the line.
Swapped TPS with a known good one.
Tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter)
I have scanned it for codes twice but the check engine light only comes on intermittently and always goes off before I can get a code pulled.

Any ideas? I though about fuel pressure but (I'm assuming here) if it has in tank pumps it acts the same whether I'm sucking from the front or rear tank.
My next step was going to be to remove the possibility of restriction in the 2nd cat.

Thanks!

And since I know ya'll love pictures.. here's one of the "not-so-dented" side..
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 AM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First check the fuel pressure with a gauge. Does not mean both pumps are not bad. Second check your EGR and clean it along with IAC. The code if it is a fault code should be stored in the memory of the computer. Even if the problem happens once it should still show. Mine still has tps showing even after I changed it. I have not cleared it yet.

Nice looking truck BTW!!!

Quick Reply: I have returned for knowledge - sluggish 95