Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How you got hooked

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default How you got hooked

So I started this in honor of these old rigs because of what happened tonight (I believe I just got another person hooked on these old trucks) here is the story:

I was having a small party for my sons first birthday, we needed more ice, my buddy had made the comment earlier in the day that he had never had a ride in my old rig (92 F150 351W 4x4 with 180k miles) so I threw him the keys and said let's go get some ice. At first he was thrown off by the sloppy steering (he owns a 2013 fusion and has always had new cars) but after only a mile going down the road he said "I need to talk the wife into letting me get an old truck, this is great" also loved having the shifter on the tree, sound of the exhaust, sittin up so high, ect ect ect.

I just enjoyed this, he talked about wanting to go find an old f150 for himself several times over the night. Anyone else have a good story about how they got hooked or got somebody else into these rigs?

My story is simple... To me the older the better when it comes to cars/trucks and my grandpa had a truck just like mine so I have always loved this body style!
The following users liked this post:
65mechanic (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Dailydriving300ci-of-fury

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty but trusty
So I started this in honor of these old rigs because of what happened tonight (I believe I just got another person hooked on these old trucks) here is the story: I was having a small party for my sons first birthday, we needed more ice, my buddy had made the comment earlier in the day that he had never had a ride in my old rig (92 F150 351W 4x4 with 180k miles) so I threw him the keys and said let's go get some ice. At first he was thrown off by the sloppy steering (he owns a 2013 fusion and has always had new cars) but after only a mile going down the road he said "I need to talk the wife into letting me get an old truck, this is great" also loved having the shifter on the tree, sound of the exhaust, sittin up so high, ect ect ect. I just enjoyed this, he talked about wanting to go find an old f150 for himself several times over the night. Anyone else have a good story about how they got hooked or got somebody else into these rigs? My story is simple... To me the older the better when it comes to cars/trucks and my grandpa had a truck just like mine so I have always loved this body style!
Awesome story man. It's always cool to see someone appreciate an old pick up truck. I've always trusted my old girl no matter what.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

My first car was a 1980 f100 custom 2wd, 300 with a auto, after that I had numerous different cars, then at 23 I bought a 92 f150 4wd 4.9l(300) auto, i've owned about 5 of them since then most of them with the I6 had one with a 5.0l and I got rid of it fast and bought another I6, I will not own a ford without the I6. we do have a farm truck with a built 351w, but it is pretty much my dads and he didnt believe in the 300, until we built his 351w and I have proved over and over my I6's are better for off pavement work horse trucks.

the only thing I would trade my 300 for would be an I6 diesel.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Back in 2005 I went to work for a commercial real estate company and they gave me an almost new 2005 Ranger. I'm a HVAC mechanic and many times I was loading the truck with old filters, motors, and duct work. Sometimes the execs would borrow the truck to drive into the main office and were upset about the junk in the back.
Parked out back was a 92 F150 Custom 4x2 RC LB 4.9 E4OD F150 with a busted door hinge, trashed seat, some electrical issues, and bad tires. I spent a day repairing it and cleaning it for about $250 for a JY seat, new hinge, and a Map sensor. Used that truck for the next 4 years until I was transferred to another site. It would always start and became a legend when it moved a full dumpster after the hauler lost a hydraulic hose and it moved it 100 ft clear of the loading dock. It finally gave out in 2010. That truck made me a believer in Fords and especially the 4.9. I've had two since and my current one just passed 250k with the engine still going strong.
Regards
rikard
Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

My brother got me into Fords at a very young age, my uncle got me into F150s not long after. He had an older one, 70 something, no idea what was in it. It was the first thing I ever got to steer when I was about 6 years old. I know it was an automatic. He would sit in the center with his foot on the brake and just let it idle around parking lots while I steered.

Now I have two ford pickups. A 92 F150 w/302 that's been my baby for over 3 years and a 73 F350 w/390 I got from my other uncle that I'm gonna get running again.

Ive only let a handful of people drive my truck and they all loved it. My brother had no problem being the main driver when I got out of the Army and had to drive from North Carolina back to Washington. He still tries to drive it whenever he can. We use it to pull trees down and out when we need fire wood, the only problem is my tires. Need some new ones and then I might actually get traction in the soft dirt, lol. Bald street tires don't really work for off road traction.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

When I was 7, my grandfather took me on my first fishing trip out to his farm pond which fostered my love for wildlife... We camped out on the bed of his 1994 f150 and feasted on our haul of crappie that we cooked over the fire. He was my role model and my Hero. Thats all the hook I need. 12 years later, I drive that same 1994 f150, and im going to school to become a Texas Game Warden. Funny how things work out like that.

Quick Reply: How you got hooked