Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How would you move a long block from the crate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How would you move a long block from the crate?

Hypothetical question here. Was talking to my mechanic a few weeks ago about this long block.

I said "hey, I should just get it shipped to me, put it on a stand, and work on it on the patio, I'll put oil pump, oil pan, timing chain cover, valve covers, distributor.....whatever it is, on my spare time".

He said "that's a great idea! and you can learn to do stuff too".

I was toying with that idea, and I thought yeah, I can do this.

Aye, here's the rub. If it gets shipped to me, it's probably in a big plastic box or in a wooden crate. Some places will charge extra to get it out of the shipping truck (you need to have your own crane or whatever, surprised they don't ship it on a truck that has a lift gate).

So challenge 1. How to get it out, I can pay them extra to get it to the sidewalk. Okay, not bad. I live in an apartment complex and I have a patio.

Challenge 2: I need to get a 400 pound long block, through my apartment, through a dining room, and into the patio. How would you do it? is 400 pound sound about right? Can 4 people physically move that with their hands? Or get 4 people and put it on one of those furniture dollys?

Challenge 3:. I can get a cheap or used engine stand from that place where nobody likes to buy cheap Chinese tools, we know that store, but I saw a review on the engine stand one time and they said it's worth it if you aren't doing a lot of engines. How would you lift it to that? I was thinking bolting the pieces to the engine, then tilting the engine stand to the engine, then tilt the entire piece together to make it stand.

If this sounds insane, let me know. Or if you think my GF will move out seeing a darn engine block in the patio. Hahaha.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM

Ahh, answered one of my questions. From powertrain, delivering to a residential area is extra $100 and it'll be shipped with a lift gated truck. So now it's on the sidewalk. Now what? I'm thinking work smart, use a furniture dolly? But a heavy duty one.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

WOW! You're going to do this on your apartment patio? Yes, insane, but I'm no psychiatrist.

Well, yes, four people can lift it. And a furniture dolly would be a great help. How wide are your doorways? Will it fit when it's all together?

A long block comes without the oil pan, but the crankshaft sticks out a little so you'll need to allow for this. IOW, the bottom isn't flat. And then with the oil pan in place it's even less flat, and the weight of the engine will dent the pan if you use the pan as the base. And it will be wider with the valve covers, exhaust manifolds, and any accessories installed. So, getting it back out will be the hard part.

Maybe your mechanic fried could just let you keep it in a corner of his shop while you put it together, or a friend's garage, or something similar.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by seschenburg
WOW! You're going to do this on your apartment patio? Yes, insane, but I'm no psychiatrist.

Well, yes, four people can lift it. And a furniture dolly would be a great help. How wide are your doorways? Will it fit when it's all together?

I've moved a 400 pound spinet from different parts of my apartment with those tiny little wheels. What a pain. Rolling 400 pounds in a carpet.

the valve covers, exhaust manifolds, and any accessories installed. So, getting it back out will be the hard part.
Ohhhh yeah!.... That's thinking ahead which I didn't do.

Maybe your mechanic fried could just let you keep it in a corner of his shop while you put it together, or a friend's garage, or something similar.
He's got 2 engines on a stand right now and he works part time with other people's cars in there. He said he used to take engines apart in there but the his complex and neighbors started complaining.

I did get a new storage unit and thought of doing it in there but then I don't wanna do anything that'll get me kicked out of that place.

Maybe I should start looking for friends with garages. Kinda hard where I am...suburbia so garages are full of junk they will never ever see, open, use again.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:47 PM

That engine will have some residual oil in it also so you'll need to put down plastic through the apartment and on the patio, and do the move when your landlord won't be watching. They'll assume the worst, of course.

The storage unit is probably the best option being that it's lockable, etc. Is there good lighting?

I can't imagine why your storage place would complain. You won't be running the engine there so the only noise will be the classic rock from your boom box, some wrenches clicking, and the occasional cursing. If they hate classic rock you should take your business elsewhere anyway.
ericantonio (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:00 PM

That engine will have some residual oil in it also so you'll need to put down plastic through the apartment and on the patio, and do the move when your landlord won't be watching. They'll assume the worst, of course.

The storage unit is probably the best option being that it's lockable, etc. Is there good lighting?

I can't imagine why your storage place would complain. You won't be running the engine there so the only noise will be the classic rock from your boom box, some wrenches clicking, and the occasional cursing. If they hate classic rock you should take your business elsewhere anyway.
Hahah! Totally! I had to sign some form that I won't be doing anything "illegal" in there like chopping up bodies or stuff like that. But yeah, I'll read that contract again and maybe.

So if the oil pan is in, and we are ready to install in the vehicle, how do you put it in the bed of a pickup without damaging the oil pan?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Aha, then there's the delivery issues. You can lay it on its rear. Save putting the flex plate on until you get to the shop. But, I can't remember if that's flat across there or not. I think the tranmission line-up pins are sticking out, and the rear of the crankshaft might stick out a little also.

EDIT: You'll want it resting on the block itself, not the crankshaft, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, or anything else.

And how you'll lift it into the truck without bashing everything together is another problem.

You sure you want to do this?

Last edited by seschenburg; 04-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
ericantonio (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Aha, then there's the delivery issues. You can lay it on its rear. Save putting the flex plate on until you get to the shop. But, I can't remember if that's flat across there or not. I think the tranmission line-up pins are sticking out, and the rear of the crankshaft might stick out a little also.
Wow so many things I've never thought of!! When I watch it on YouTube, I never notice how they do it. This time I will see if I can see how they do it.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy skit; "you might be a redneck if..."

If your wife tells you to come and move a transmission so she can have a bath ....

Seriously, not an apartment project.
ericantonio (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy skit; "you might be a redneck if..."

If your wife tells you to come and move a transmission so she can have a bath ....

Seriously, not an apartment project.

You guys are a crack up. Yeah, I think I gave up the idea. Sounds like hell. When I move to a real place with a garage next time, I think it'll be fun to do.