Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

how to remove seat cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default how to remove seat cover

The foam of my seat in my 1996 F150 XLT is collapsed and I would like to remove the seat cover and build the foam back to the original height. When I look under the seat, I'm not sure how the cover is attached.

Can anyone tell me how to pull the cover back and is this a hard job?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

most seat covers are held on by something like a hog-ring, and you will need hog-ring pliers to reinstall them. It can be done with pliers/etc...

some have the material attached to a composite strip that hooks in to a metal channel on the seat frame.

They are not difficult, but you need to remove it from the vehicle to get access and to "pull" things where they need to be

building up the height is not as easy as one may think..you need to have the right height of foam, uncompressed, so that it will let you pull the seat cover over it tightly and reattach that cover to the frame. Pull too hard, seam may rip...pull too easy and the cover will wrinkle.

Good news, though - todays foam is much more durable and comfortable and in a lot of sizes and density. Don't use the cheap stuff...and use the correct adhesive for the foam you select.

best of luck
Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you use the adhesive for?

Originally Posted by kd3pc
most seat covers are held on by something like a hog-ring, and you will need hog-ring pliers to reinstall them. It can be done with pliers/etc...

some have the material attached to a composite strip that hooks in to a metal channel on the seat frame.

They are not difficult, but you need to remove it from the vehicle to get access and to "pull" things where they need to be

building up the height is not as easy as one may think..you need to have the right height of foam, uncompressed, so that it will let you pull the seat cover over it tightly and reattach that cover to the frame. Pull too hard, seam may rip...pull too easy and the cover will wrinkle.

Good news, though - todays foam is much more durable and comfortable and in a lot of sizes and density. Don't use the cheap stuff...and use the correct adhesive for the foam you select.

best of luck
Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I use 3M adhesives on the foam blocks, unless you get custom made blocks, they come in 3 or 4 pieces to be glued together and then to the seat base.

bests
The following users liked this post:
Glenn54 (09-20-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to get my seat back to the original shape and support it once offered. I spoke to a Professional Upholsterer over the age of 70 and he advised this: "...with the seat out and on a bench, I'll replace any broken springs. Then I'll install a piece of vinyl (Naugahyde?) between the springs and the original seat foam to stop the springs from cutting the new foam. Between the new vinyl in contact with the springs and the original seat foam, I'll add a 1" layer of foam sheet to take up the fabric stretch that likely has occurred over time. I'll put the seat together for you to re-install. Pay me when you pick up your seat."
Worked very nicely and cost $85!
*Working from the bottom eliminates having to rebuild/correct the seating-surface contours. My seat does not have torn coverings.

Last edited by stxlt; 09-18-2017 at 04:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stxlt:
Glenn54 (09-20-2017), terry274 (09-19-2017)