Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hood Latch fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hood Latch fiasco!

Okay, I'm an idiot. I'll save you all the time there. But now I'm stuck...well, the hood is stuck, that is. It's not really closed but it won't open, either. Just has a tiny bit of play and I can't get it released.

I've had zero problem with the hood latch. Had the hood open today and a can of quick lube handy. I decided to shoot a couple of squirts on the hood latch and other moving parts that make up that entire mechanism as it has been a little "rusty" feeling lately.

After some lube shots, I was moving the latch back and forth working the oil in there. There was another little latchy-looking-thing to the right of the big main latch (I guess) and for some reason I decided to see if it moved. Yup, I flipped it and it locked into some different position.

I thought I could "reset" the entire hood latch mechanism by slamming the hood shut. The hood shut, but didn't shut completely but now won't open, either. I've tried researching this issue but can't find a solution yet.

I've tried pulling the hood release handle in the cab to no avail. Tried another couple of things, too, but can't budge it. Here's a pic of the little latchy thing I flipped. If anyone has a clue, please let me know

Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The "little latchey thing" is the main latch that operates off the handle. Tghe big one with the lever out front is the safety latch. To open the safety latch you have to push the hood down a bit so you can release it with the lever.
By closing the main latch, you blocked the hood from closing that little bit so that you can release the safety latch.
Maybe if somebody sits on the hood, you'll be able to release it.
Or you may end up having to wreck something - a bar to force the latch sideways ?
Unless you can see the all the bolts that hold the latch ?
If you have to trash something, I'd go for the grille first (if absolutely nothing else will work). Lot easier to replace a piece of plastic than a hood or any other sheet metal.
Yeah, not your best move. We all have our days.
The following users liked this post:
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

If that happens again, pull the release handle inside the cab to let the little catch back out. You may have to have someone pull the release while you lift up the hood, then push it down and move the release lever at the same time.
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

worse comes to worse loosen the 2 10MM bolts that hold the latch then it will come free
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fltdriver
If that happens again, pull the release handle inside the cab to let the little catch back out. You may have to have someone pull the release while you lift up the hood, then push it down and move the release lever at the same time.
This is correct. If that latch doesnt pop back by itself when you pull the hood release then you need a second set of hands. One to pull the release and the other to put the latch back to the open position.

And for future reference, the door latches work the same way.
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford 4x4
worse comes to worse loosen the 2 10MM bolts that hold the latch then it will come free
This is what you will have to do. I bumped mine down and didn't know it and closed the hood and did the same thing you did. I had to remove the bolts that held the latch on, and had to do it through the grill. I tried several other things, including someone sitting on the hood, and all that did was make it so I had to realign the hood, so don't do that lol. Just pull the bolts out, they aren't in the best place to remove, but could be worse. I think I used a ratchet wrench to pull them out. Then let the latch down and open your hood, pop it from inside to release the safety latch, reinstall the latch and check that safety latch every time you close the hood from now on, You learned like I did lol.
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon587
This is what you will have to do. I bumped mine down and didn't know it and closed the hood and did the same thing you did. I had to remove the bolts that held the latch on, and had to do it through the grill. I tried several other things, including someone sitting on the hood, and all that did was make it so I had to realign the hood, so don't do that lol. Just pull the bolts out, they aren't in the best place to remove, but could be worse. I think I used a ratchet wrench to pull them out. Then let the latch down and open your hood, pop it from inside to release the safety latch, reinstall the latch and check that safety latch every time you close the hood from now on, You learned like I did lol.
Yep 10mm ratchet wrench hahaha
Leaf_Chaser (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

YAY! Finally got it! Only took 3 days to realize that the only way to do this was to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the hood latch mechanism.

Matter of fact, for future reference in case some other idiot does what I did, they'll have a better idea of how to resolve this issue without going through all the crap I went through.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Here's a video I made:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Leaf_Chaser
YAY! Finally got it! Only took 3 days to realize that the only way to do this was to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the hood latch mechanism.

Matter of fact, for future reference in case some other idiot does what I did, they'll have a better idea of how to resolve this issue without going through all the crap I went through.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Here's a video I made: 1995 Ford F150 hood latch - YouTube
haha I spent a few hours trying things until I realized that would be the only way. Then it was open in no time lol.

Quick Reply: Hood Latch fiasco!