Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

heads - E7s or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heads - E7s or rebuild?

Something I am not aware of is what to do to my exsisting heads to get them to perform better...

My rebuild kit came with Valve guide seals so I'm going to end up getting into them regardless. I'd like to know what is needed to upgrade the RR's and I'm seeing pedestel mounts in 7/16 and 3/8 I think and well now I'm starting to get lost.

Can someone give me a breakdown on whats required and benefits to upgrading certain things and whats best to go with etc. Also what pushrod lengths are needed for say 1.6 or 1.72 etc.

I understand why people make the switch just not whats involved.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Big Rig Driver

concerning the rr mounts do they both fit the same size hole on the heads or would you have to tap out the hole to fit the bigger one.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

you rder the RR's according to the stud size you have...pushrods stay the same regardless of ratio... those change when you have valve that have different heights
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Big Rig Driver

a more in depth reply would be as follows:

Depends if your heads are infact stud mount. Push rod length and contact pattern on the valve stem should always be checked regardless when putting a new set of rockers on. Push rod type depends on the rockers being self aligning or not. Guide plate usage needs a hardened push rod, where as self aligning does not, but still should anyways. and wall thickness uually depends on valve spring pressure, most common aftermarket pushrods are .080" wall thickness, but can be ordered thicker. Opt for 1 peice pushrods, multi piece are availible aftermarket but increases the chances of failure.

Quick Reply: heads - E7s or rebuild?