Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise

I have had this truck for about 1&1/2 weeks and this morning after driving just a couple of minutes when I apply the brakes I get a grinding noise. The hub also gets fairly hot. It doesn't do it immediately but starts after only a short distance of driving(1 or 2 miles). I took off the front wheels as this is seemingly where the sound is coming from and the brake pads are new and rotors are in fairly good shape (looks like they could have been turned when the pads were changed but they aren't bad). Also remover grease cover and it looks as if the bearings have been recently repacked.

Do you think it could be some other brake issue or improperly packed or set bearings. Also my brake and rear abs lights are coming on intermittenly, when you apply the brakes the brake light usually goes out and then comes back on. My 1990 F150 in excellent shape has begun showing some problems, hopefully this new trend will stop with this issue. I appreciate any help.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

If it only happens when the brakes are applied, that would be where to focus attention first.

Had an occurrence where I had put the bargain pads on, then after they expired, went back to the mainline pads. Got a rubbing sound afterward - found that the contact area of the mainline pad was slightly wider than the bargain, so the mainline pad was contacting an area of the rotor that was slightly higher and rusty due to the service cycle with the bargain pads. Rather than do the right thing and pull the rotors (ugh, and all the 4WD stuff too) for turning, I popped in another set of bargain pads and was good-to-go.

You may try backing the pads off the rotor and spinning the hub to listen for any bearing issues.

As for the warning lights - first check for enough brake fluid - there is a level sensor in the reservoir and it sometimes gets stuck. Other than that, the ABS system has its own set of fault codes that can be pulled to identify the problem. Many times here, it is the rear wheel sensor.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the brake fluid is a little low so I put some fluid in and the brake light went off, I hope I don't have a leak somewhere. The noise seems to be intermittent and I'm not sure it's not form the suspension or front end somewhere. I'm going to pull of the back wheels as soon as the weather takes a turn for the better cuz it's cold, windy and wet right now. Any other opinions or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know what the resolution was for this issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Top Gun

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My thought could be backing plate could be rusted out and sometimes hitting the rotor. Also he has a leak some where.
The following users liked this post:
Rdgallo (11-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Grinding noise