Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Gauge Cluster Swap (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Gauge Cluster Swap (pics)

i have a 1994 f150 xlt and i finally was able to go pick up a gauge cluster with a tach. I had to wait two days because the junkyard i got it from doesnt allow you to pull your own parts. the new to me cluster cost me 50 bucks.

if you are having trouble finding one use
www.car-part.com

this site allows you to search a ton of yards across the united states

this is what i picked up and its break down

with tach is the red one

you will need to turn the dial above the white piece. this allows you to adjust the selector and turned enough allows the cable to come out. you will also need to disconnect the cable from the selector as well.

to pull the trim off there is a screw behind each of the silver trim pieces

this was a pretty straight forward swap so i am just gonna give some tips of somethings that i noticed while doing it.

1. the gauges i got were really dirty and i used electronic cleaning wipes that i normally use to clean my computer to clean them

2. had it out so it was a good time to change the bulbs. the 4x4 bulb was different why i dont know.

3. turning the dial for the selector is a lot easier with the lower trim off. ( i got big hands)

4. when pulling the gauges out to put your speedo in you got to work outside in as the outer gauges hold the inner gauges in.

5. make sure the speedo is on 0. i didnt and all the other gauges self adjusted but it and i had to take it all back out and do it again.

6. if you want white face overlays now would be a good time unless that is you like to do things twice.

7. getting the light **** off is easier than it looks. pull it out turn it till you see the hole. stick a flat head in and move it towards you and the **** pulls right off.

oh if you do go to the above mentioned site search under "speedo"
Old 12-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job man! I just did this to my 95 aswell and wasn't as lucky as you. I actually work at a self service junkyard so I went out and spent my lunchbreak the other day and had to pull three incomplete clusters to make a full one and put it in my truck. Definitely a good free mod to do! The only thing that threw me off was the orientation of the connectors between the non tach and tach clusters on the back for the two wiring harness plugs, but I figured screw it so I plugged her in and it worked like a dream.

Very nice write up I didn't have a chance to take pictures since I did mine at work, but thanks for taking the time to do it bo!

-Ron
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM

i had the same thought about the plugs. i guess you could trace the lines but ya just plugging it in is faster
Old 12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

what clusters will work for a 96 aside from a 96 lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM

found a pic of the 96 cluster on ebay and it looks just like my 94 cluster so i would say you could use any from 94 to 96. now there could be a small difference that i am not seeing. i was told i had to use either a 94 or 95 for mine. not sure why a 92/93 cluster wouldnt work as long as it had the three plug set up?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM

yea i heard some clusters wont work in every year, id assume its like you said, the plugs are different somehow. but seeing this post made me decide to do it lol. i heard u could do it like a year ago but never did, dont know why.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

look here
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...Or_Bronco.html

looks like there are minor differences so if you can find a cluster of the same year do so.

try car-part.com

search for speedo

NOTE:
doing more research, how the gauges work could be greatly effected depending on the difference in the clusters years so defiantly use the same year cluster or try to keep as close to the year of your truck as possible.

Last edited by 4wheeldevil; 12-22-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: found more info

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard awhile back some 96 were obdII also. Can't confirm or deny this. Sean and I discussed it one day. There may be a difference there as well. I thought about doing this also, just have too much going on and the 32 degree temps outside do not help a lot.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM

all 96s are OBDII some 95s are OBDII and i dont know of any difference, but to be safe ill prob just get one from a 96.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f150cam
all 96s are OBDII some 95s are OBDII and i dont know of any difference, but to be safe ill prob just get one from a 96.
You knew what I meant. I should not come here when I am on pain meds. I wonder if the ones out of a f250 would be any different?

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Swap (pics)