Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

gas smell from heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default gas smell from heater

i haven't seen any threads on this and was hoping you guys would be able to help out. its getting cold outside and I noticed every time I turn my heater on I get the smell of gas/fumes. I know my truck runs kind of rich but I don't see how I would be getting this smell from my blower. if you guys have any idea on what could cause this cuz I don't feel like freezing or passing out while driving lol thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 AM

Received 495 Likes on 429 Posts

You likely have a small fuel leak which the fumes are being sucked into the fresh air intake under the hood. I would investigate it asap.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:38 AM

sorry been really busy lately. I've looked and there's no fuel leak, the longer that I've had it on now I've noticed it being more of an exhaust leak. I'm still trying to find where it could be coming from. one of the previous owners but an aftermarket exhaust on and the welds are defiantly something special putting it nicely lol. I hear the leak when driving and if it ever stops raining I plan on taking a closer look. thanks for the help though, will post an update if I find the problem.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This caption explains how to pinpoint an exhaust leak:

The fact that it's leaking UPstream of the oxygen sensor (HEGO) is making it run rich, which is why it smells like gas. It's also pouring $$$ out the tailpipe, and diluting the engine oil, making the engine wear out faster. You should fix it ASAP. The best way to fix it is to put stock exhaust parts back on, correctly, and keep it all working as-designed.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM

I took a closer look around and noticed that when they put the new exhaust on that they decided to only use a few bolt to attach the exhaust to the head. I get some new bolts and tightened it down and now the smell has pretty much gone away, there's a few holes in the pipes from some poor welding. once I get my hands on a welder from a friend I plan on patching those up, but at least they are down stream from the O2. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: gas smell from heater