Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system

I have recently replaced the front fuel tank and pump in my duel tank truck. 1994 f150,5.8 The question I have is that i have been told that i need to somehow block off the rear tank since I am going to run on just the front tank for the next 6 months or so. The reason i have changed the tank and along with several other things, pump, filter, injectors, is that the truck had been stored for the past 8 yrs. So I know that the fuel turned to varnish. Will it be ok to run it this way or do i need to block off the back tank and if so whats the best way of doing it? thanks for any help.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If you're not using the rear tank, the pump module in it will operate as a (dual) check valve for both the pressure and return lines. As long as you leave the tank and sending unit in place (and the check valves are sealing) it won't affect the truck.
Worst case, if one of the check valves were not working you would get cross filling (pumping gas into the rear tank), but don't worry about crossing that bridge if it's not an issue.
The following users liked this post:
kellysford (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris, I was thinking about taking out the rear tank tomorrow and using some hose and clamps to seal off the tank from the fuel system, but now I can use my time in figuring out some other problems im having.

Quick Reply: fuel system