Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel pumps and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Fuel pumps and injectors

Have not posted in a while. I have a '96 regular cab with a 4.9. I am just over 380k miles now and the truck is not acting well. A large part of the problem, I think, is about a year ago I replaced both fuel pumps (old ones stopped working) with Spectra pumps. Has not run right since. Read on the site that their pumps are crap. Not wanting to get rid of the truck, I was thinking of replacing the rear tank pump with a Motorcraft and replace the fuel injectors. The injectors are original except for one. I don't know if injectors are something that wears out or if as long as they work, they are fine. I use cleaners fairly often so I don't think they are clogged. I feel the pumps are 95% of the problem. I also hope that new injectors would give me a boost in power. The engine is tired but keeps on running. If this all works well, I would replace the front pump afterwards.

So what I am asking: Does this sound reasonable to you? What type of injectors should I get? How much money would you throw at a truck before you decide to move on to another?

If I get a new truck, it would be a '95 or older to avoid OBDII. But I bought this one brand new and hate to give up on it.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I had previously had a 95 with I6 and an auto trans, it was pushing mid 300k on the mileage. It ran decent but had some blow by, was pretty worn out. I needed to run MC single platinum plugs as the basics would foul or just not run great after not many miles. The distributer also had play in the shaft and I drove it with that for quite some time. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the new fuel pumps
Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I would verify you have decent fuel pressure on the pumps before deciding on anything. Spectra does not have the best reputation but they do work when they work, if that makes sense.

If it were me, and I loved the truck enough to keep it around, I would be shopping for a replacement engine from a salvage yard or craigslist. 380k is a lot of miles for any motor, even the impressive 4.9.