Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

The Ford 300 Inline Six Performance thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Arrow The Ford 300 Inline Six Performance thread.

So I love my Inline six but i just don't feel the love when it comes to performance upgrades. there are plenty of aftermarket stuff for the 302 and 351s but not much for the I6, well that's where I come in I thought i should start this thread to gather up all the tiny bits of info and place it in one convenient place! feel free to ad your own stuff up if you like just be sure to site your findings please!!

first I stumbled upon a nice web site that gives just a few minor things to do such as camshafts, intakes exhaust and so on.
1987 - 1993
Switched from carburetd to electronic fuel injection.
Compression ratio was 8.8:1
Brake Horsepower: 145 @ 3400 rpm
Torque: 265 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm

1994-1996
Brake Horsepower: 150 @ 3400 rpm
Torque: 260 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm

Performance add ons and tips!

Carbureted
Air Intake: Most people seem to like K&N's, but any filter open
360* is an improvement over stock.

Carburetors: A Holley 390cfm 4bbl is the most popular choice and
works best especially with stock cam, a lot of people are happy with
500cfm Edelbrocks too though. Only use a 4bbl with an Offenhasuer
or Clifford 4bbl intake, use a 2bbl with an adaptor plate.

Intakes: Both Offenhauser and Clifford make a 4bbl intake for the 300.
Offenhauser seems to be the favorite because it's cheaper and just as good.
Clifford makes 2 and 3 carb intakes also.

Headers: Headman and Clifford are both good choices, ofcourse Headman is
cheaper.

Camshafts: Both Clifford and Isky make a wide range of camshafts.
Ignition: Any performance ingition, MSD is most popular.
Heads: You can have porting, polishing, bigger valves also putting on a
240 head will raise compression.

Exhaust: High flow mufflers, dual cats, no cats, hollowing out cats.
2 1/4" True duals with split headers is suppose to work the best.

Electronic Fuel Injection
Same kind of stuff except instead of slapping on a bigger carb, since fuel
injection doesn't use one, duh, you'll want bigger injectors and maybe you can
find a bigger throttle body that will fit.

Turbos: Some people have had custom manifolds made and used turbos of
Chevy deisils, there are no kits for this so it would be a custom job.

Chips: To my knowledge there are no performance chips for the 300.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fordflaresides/300.html
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Bolt on performance upgrades a very few. But there are some small things that can make a huge difference in economy and power for the 300, namely ignition upgrades.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Seems every one of these threads on I6 performance gets flamed beyond recognition by the simpletons asking why? So I say to you......Have fun. There's allot of great stuff out there on the 300 and I look forward to reading the suggestions. All that I'm going to input at this moment is some of the things I've been involved in.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/just-g...ight=8mpg+gain

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/electr...ighlight=e-fan

All of this and all the standard tune up stuff and timing bump will contribute to the cause.

Edit - I hear allot about the 300 being purpose built for work horse duty. While I'm not sure if this an I6 or a 4 banger, it's had a turbo added and is pure bad A**. Enjoy keeping up with a properly built and tuned tractor motor.

Last edited by unit505; 12-31-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

thanks for the imput! and To be clear I have an Inline six and yes i know its outdated and not useful for most performance applications but alas its like the flat head v8s there not powerful but they look sweet pimped out. its a throwback to the good old days where the engines where made to last
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the straight 6 performance info! Just takes a little digging
Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

heres a write up for injector swaps

http://www.bigblocksix.com/Eddie/injectorswap/
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
heres a write up for injector swaps

http://www.bigblocksix.com/Eddie/injectorswap/
Wouldn't you have to convert to MAF for that though? I would love to switch to bigger injectors when I rebuild my 6 but it throws codes if your on SD and not MAF...
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Nope. It would appear that it's doable with MAF. Nothing says it has to be MAF. I've read some results on another site with this mod on MAP engines. AWESOME!

Quote -

The higher line pressure may in its turn have influenced the Ford designers to specify a 12-lb./hr. rated fuel injector rather than the other truck engines’ norm of 19-lb./hr., and with that 7-lb./hr. difference lies the crux of this upgrade, because the pathetic 12# units are being replaced with the 19# (or higher) units. There is some speculation that 24-lb./hr. injectors may also be of value because of their additional capacity to supply ultimate fuel quantity for very high horsepower engines, as the later (’95 California/’96 50-state) Mass Air Flow (MAF) 4.9L units are adaptable to higher flow values achievable. Supercharging, for instance.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by unit505
Nope. It would appear that it's doable with MAF. Nothing says it has to be MAF. I've read some results on another site with this mod on MAP engines. AWESOME!

Quote -

The higher line pressure may in its turn have influenced the Ford designers to specify a 12-lb./hr. rated fuel injector rather than the other truck engines’ norm of 19-lb./hr., and with that 7-lb./hr. difference lies the crux of this upgrade, because the pathetic 12# units are being replaced with the 19# (or higher) units. There is some speculation that 24-lb./hr. injectors may also be of value because of their additional capacity to supply ultimate fuel quantity for very high horsepower engines, as the later (’95 California/’96 50-state) Mass Air Flow (MAF) 4.9L units are adaptable to higher flow values achievable. Supercharging, for instance.
So it would work on one of our Non-MAF engines? This mod, a good dual exhaust and the 460 throttle body would be interesting to see what kind of performance you could get out of it...
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by unit505

Quote -

here it is, it does throw codes:

The ’87-’95 50-state speed density versions generate error codes (the “check engine” emissions dash light) at a relatively low circa-40 psig, (Ford averages 39 psi across their lineup), but this is still a very worthwhile swap. Apparently, the antiknock sensor allows the engine to run a lot of ignition advance because the rich fuel mixture simply won’t spark knock, which on these horribly lean low-emissions/high-MPG engines makes an incredible difference in their power output and drivability. We are having very good luck with our initial advance increased to 12-degrees BTDC; stock is 10 BTDC, and we’re burning that wonderful 87 octane stuff. We’ve mused aloud about the possibility of using higher octane and cranking the advance way up there and been told sternly to “…not trust…” a knock sensor too far.

Quick Reply: The Ford 300 Inline Six Performance thread.