Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Finally doing front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Finally doing front suspension

After 344k miles, I've decided to replace the front suspension to try to smooth out ride. I have ordered Moog CC824 coil springs, Gabriel shocks, and also replacing ***** joints (Moog also) while I am at it. My brakes are sounding bad to so I plan to do them along with new bearings. I consider myself a capable mechanic (which means I can do the work, just not that experienced or knowledgeable). Can't seem to find to many things on Youtube for doing the suspension or ball joints for this particular year truck ('96). I'm doing this in my driveway. Can anyone tell me what to expect or any problems that they may have run in to that could help me?

Thanks

Also, my steering wheel is slightly turned in one direction. Can I change that by resetting it in the pitman arm?
Old 12-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

You should get yourself some adjustable camber bushings because those springs will require some camber adjustment. Might as well replace any sway bar/end link bushings if you have them. Also make sure your tie rods are good. 2WD or 4WD?
The following users liked this post:
memoniz (01-02-2016)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 AM

2WD. Are the bushings common to get?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Get yourself a Haynes manual, it explains everything pretty well. For what you're doing its pretty straight forward. As for the streets wheel you likely need an alignment but you'll need that after springs anyway.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my wheel bearings, ball joints, radius arm bushings, tie rod ends,drag and center link, steering box and everything to do with the 4wd side ( seals, bearings).

Oops, I have a 96 4x4.

I got the Haynes and Chilton manuals, ok for torque specs but all the info I found was on YouTube.

I made it look easy and it actually was.

Cans of PB Blaster helped.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
You should get yourself some adjustable camber bushings because those springs will require some camber adjustment. Might as well replace any sway bar/end link bushings if you have them. Also make sure your tie rods are good. 2WD or 4WD?
I didn't get the camber bushing when I started and after I finished the driver side, my tire was way out of wack. So I got some Moog 3.5 degree ones and switched it out before I started other side. Wow, what a big difference.

Took it for a drive and everything feels tighter, smoother. Having alignment done tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the alignment go okay? When I put the moog springs into my 2wd truck it was a big problem because the axles didn't allow enough space for adjustment.

Quick Reply: Finally doing front suspension