Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Drums

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Drums

Hey all, quick question. About 100 miles ago I changed my rear brakes. New pads, springs, hardware, wheel cylinders, and all new brake lines. Also I put one new drum on the right side only (driver drum looked perfect so I didn't replace it. Bled all air from system, everything worked fine. Today I noticed I could smell the right rear brake, check the temp and it was at about 190f, the left one was only 110f. The truck drives and brakes normally. I pulled it off quite easily (didn't have to back off the adjuster) inspected and couldn't find a problem. I backed off the adjuster, put it together and went for a ride, now both sides are the same temp??? Only 110f or so. What happened? Did it self adjust out too far? Is it normal for a new drum to run hotter while it "breaks in"? Hopefully all this makes sense. I've been working on my own cars for about 13 years but they have all had discs, I've only done a handful of drums. Thanks! Just want to make sure there isn't a problem, I don't want to do all that work again!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Maybe it was the newness burning off. Why was just 1 drum replaced? Maybe there is another issue that caused that drum failure.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The pad on that side cracked and broke off at some point in time so the drum was all gouged up. The driver side looked fine so I did not replace it.

Quick Reply: Drums