Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Donor truck auto to manual swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Donor truck auto to manual swap question

Hi all, have not been on here in quite along time, looking for some answers that i just can not find.

I have a 1996 F150 302 automatic single cab long bed and I am looking to convert it to manual. I have read that there is a lot that needs to be done to do this that why i am looking for a donor truck so i can just move everything over.

Now my questing is, when looking for a donor, would picking up a truck with a 4.9 be okay? All I seem to find is 4.9's that are manual. From what I have read on the forums is that the manual tranny should bolt right up, but is there anything that may possible be different between the 4.9 and the 5.0? What else would be needed to tackle this job? Has someone made a write up about doing this, all the parts I would need from the donor truck?

Sorry in advance if there is another post answering all these questions, I could not seem to find one.

Jstaz
Old 05-06-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstaz1993
Hi all, have not been on here in quite along time, looking for some answers that i just can not find.

I have a 1996 F150 302 automatic single cab long bed and I am looking to convert it to manual. I have read that there is a lot that needs to be done to do this that why i am looking for a donor truck so i can just move everything over.

Now my questing is, when looking for a donor, would picking up a truck with a 4.9 be okay? All I seem to find is 4.9's that are manual. From what I have read on the forums is that the manual tranny should bolt right up, but is there anything that may possible be different between the 4.9 and the 5.0? What else would be needed to tackle this job? Has someone made a write up about doing this, all the parts I would need from the donor truck?

Sorry in advance if there is another post answering all these questions, I could not seem to find one.

Jstaz
Here is a great write up:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84...azda-m5r2.html
It also depends what trans you are wanting to put in. Honestly if you are putting in the effort for the swap I would go with the ZF5 from an f250 or f350 just because they are better and more heavy duty transmissions than the M50D. I've read you would need a new driveshaft to adjust for the longer size of the trans but it might be worth it in the long run. It should bolt right up. Just a thought.

Last edited by desertrunner33; 05-06-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The flywheel on the back of the motor is different. The rest should be the same.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The flywheel on the back of the motor is different. The rest should be the same.
I think I read that on another post. I could just use the fly wheel from my truck right?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

No, automatics have a flex plate, manuals have a flywheel.

Quick Reply: Donor truck auto to manual swap question