Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Dash removal question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Dash removal question??

I swapped out my Gauge Cluster yesterday to one with a Tach, and my Truck is a 1995 & doesn't have the extra tank switch. So I was wondering what is the plug that plugs into the black panel piece right beside the light switch in the area where the Tank switch would be? I know when I plugged in the new Cluster I tried to start my Truck to see if worked right, and my Truck wouldn't start. So then I plugged in the plug that goes behind where the tank switch goes, and it started right up. So without that being plugged in my truck was dead in the water. So I'm just wondering what that is for since I don't have the extra tank, and it looks like it just plugs into nothing..
Old 10-06-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I am confused - the cluster has nothing to do with the tank switch. The tank switch is mounted to the black bezel that goes over the cluster amd steering column. If you didn't have a tank switch before hand you would not have one now unless you changed bezels as well.

EDIT - on dual tank trucks that tank switch must be plugged in to give power to the pump, I assume its the same if there is just a dummy blank switch there.

Last edited by BLDTruth; 10-06-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm ... that's interesting. I currently have my dash apart looking for a #18 fuse issue. I too am replacing the non-tach with a tach'd up cluster. I have both clusters.

I have the fuel tank switch but if I'm not mistaken the truck will not start without the fuel tank selector switch plugged in. Knowing that, I would say what you plugging in to is the non-dual tank wiring harness that essentially does the same thing as the fuel tank selector switch which is to complete the circuit to the fuel pumps. ??

Chap
Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's makes since that it needs to complete the circuit, because it doesn't go to nothing at all it's just like a dead end. When I first hooked up just the Tach Cluster it wouldn't start it didn't even hit at all, it just kept turning over. And I thought it might be the wrong year Cluster, so I ended up switching everything back to my old Cluster, and again I hooked up just the Cluster & nothing. So I thought well the only thing that's different is that plug, so I got the Black plastic bezel & plugged it in, and it started right up no problem. So I had to swap my Speedo back over to the Tach Cluster again (because I wanted to save my original 51,000 miles), so I hooked everything up this time & it started again with no problem. So even though my truck doesn't have the extra tanks or the tank switch, you still have to plug it in or the Truck will not start...

Last edited by Lightning LA; 10-06-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash removal question??