Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cruise Control problem help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cruise Control problem help!!

on my 95 the cruise control does not work. it is the kind with the buttons on the steering wheel, i saw somewhere that there is a little switch or circuit on the firewall or something that tends to go bad. anyone know what it is called or what else might be causing this??

more detail on the switch or circuit, from what i remember, it has something to do with telling the computer when the brake is applied so it turns the cruise off. when it goes bad it tells the comp that the brakes are on all the time or something, thanks for the help guys
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Does your horn work too? If not the problem is likely your clock spring. And that switch on the master cylinder is a pressure switch that turns off the cruise control when the brakes are applied. They were known for overheating and creating an electrical fire, there was a recall on that issue and they fixed them with new sensors, usually identified by a blue piece of tape on the wiring.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah the horn works fine, so how do i go about fixing this clock spring?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

It may not be the clock spring, try checking the fuse first then its easier to pinpoint.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my clock spring is bad too. When I hold the 'on' button and the 'cruise' at the same time the horn goes off, but the horn buttons work fine.
Theyre kinda expensive, I think ~$200 at JcWhitney.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
Does your horn work too? If not the problem is likely your clock spring. And that switch on the master cylinder is a pressure switch that turns off the cruise control when the brakes are applied. They were known for overheating and creating an electrical fire, there was a recall on that issue and they fixed them with new sensors, usually identified by a blue piece of tape on the wiring.
The cruise control recall is well known. It's a wiring issue at the master cylinder, if it gets corroded/contaminated with brake fluid it could cause a fire and burn the truck and everything around it to the ground. The fix was a fuse or fusable link. Ford recommended disconnecting the cruise until it was fixed. I would check and see if it was disconnected.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control problem help!!