Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Cracked block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Austinn54

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cracked block?

Sorry for this being a lengthy post, but I really do need to get this problem solved.
So, I have a 95 f150 with the 5.0 Since I got it, it has drank coolant. I would fill it up then it would be empty about a month later. Recently, I moved to TN. on the drive up here, I put straight water in and forgot about it. temp has dropped below freezing once I think. I went to put antifreeze in today and had it cranked to get it though the system. I looked under to check my oil leak (had one since I put used motor in) and I saw what looked like water in the oil. BUT has rained the past 2 days and was this morning. I took the dip stick out to check there and I saw no water. would yall say this is just rain from running down and under the truck or something more? anything I can do to check? Also, it cut off after about 20 minutes.(had to hook a bungee cord to the top of my hood to hold a radiator hose up so it wouldn't hit the fan and I believe this restricted the flow of antifreeze but I am not sure) I believe it was overheating and that my thermostat has gone bad. any tests?

Thanks ahead of time! Austin.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Austinn54

anything?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Draining the oil into a pan would show you if you had milkshake going on.

To check the integrity of the cooling system for leaks, a pressure test is a really easy fast way. You can pick up a pressure test kit from autozone for less than $20 usually. F it cant hold the pressure try to find simple external leaks first. If none are found see if its pushing into your oil reservoir by keeping the drain plug off your oil sump (keep in kind this would open a whole can of worms on where the crack COULD be...). It could also be getting pushed into the cylinder. Pull the plugs and rotate the engine by hand to see if coolant is present in there after failed pressure test.

Thats where i would start anyway.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:43 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

If you are checking for a crack do a compression test, vacuum test, and a cylinder leak down test.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't rule out a leak between the head's water jackets and combustion camber from a head gasket failure, causing your engine to burn coolant in the combustion chamber. No external leaks is suspect, hope it's just a head gasket and not a cracked head! Is there any white smoke emitting from the exhaust?

Last edited by bluecar5556; 12-12-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

may not be a leak at all... sometimes a radiator hose will leak just enough not to track but burn off all traces of fluid.

checking the oil wont always tell if water in the oil... minor amounts will burn off and the oil will still be brown...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Austinn54

I will have to get more oil to drain it and check. then I will do the pressure test and post my results tomorrow hopefully

Quick Reply: Cracked block?