Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of questions

Re-doing my 95 F150. Finally got my new rear gas tank in, tank was cheap, but pump assy and sender was $$$$$$ like $800. Got it from Ford, what a rippoff. Anyways, 2 questions: I want to change the fuel filter. The book says to relieve the pressure first. I see in the book were the fuel pressure switch should be, but I cant locate it (down by the clutch pedal). And I want to check the diff fluid while I still have the bed off. I know where the diff filler plug is, but I CAN'T get the sucker off Seems the prev owner buggered up the inside of the threads. Have tried all kinds of allen wrenches, vise grips, and liquid wrech. So far, no luck....bummer. I do need to check it; truck has 229K miles on her. Any ideas out there. Waiting for my rear air bags to come in this week.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

if you can leave the truck sit overnight, the fuel pressure will bleed off on its own, and you can just change the filter. I like the little tool that looks like an X, that is sold nearly everywhere, but there are others that work, I've made them out of pvc, sharpie tops, plumbing fittings, etc. the intended tool for the rear diff plug is a socket extension. I don't remember if it was 3/8 or 1/2, but it is pretty easy to figure out. Then a breaker bar.....
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Pressure is released at the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the intake.
Drain plug is removed with a 1/2" ratchet - no socket.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually just pull the fuel pump relay and start the truck. It will run for a few seconds until the fuel pressure drops. Then I check for pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail.

Last edited by rikard; 06-18-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Pressure is released at the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the intake.
Drain plug is removed with a 1/2" ratchet - no socket.
Chris1, thanks for the input on the diff nut. Came right off! fluid is up to drain hole and clear. So, I'll leave that alone. Truck came with a new fuel filter(nipples are still covered). Will work on that today, I do have a X-tool to work with Schrader valves. Had to get one while replacing the rear tank. Onward...