Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Clean those ground terminals !

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clean those ground terminals !

I gotta tell you, if you have an older truck, here's a tip. I read a post a few weeks back that was such a big help! Under"What did you do to your truck today?" some smart fellow posted that he periodically takes off and cleans the ground wires in his truck...the key ones would be on the starter solenoid, the ground wire to the truck chassis, and the battery ground wire. Also the ground to the alternator would also be great to clean if you are going to do a thorough job. I was having trouble with poor charging on my '91 and cleaning these wires and terminals with sandpaper solved the problem! Truck on!
The following 3 users liked this post by Older Feller:
adabiri2 (11-06-2016), Ellwood59 (11-09-2016), Snaggletooth (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Older Feller
I gotta tell you, if you have an older truck, here's a tip. I read a post a few weeks back that was such a big help! Under"What did you do to your truck today?" some smart fellow posted that he periodically takes off and cleans the ground wires in his truck...the key ones would be on the starter solenoid, the ground wire to the truck chassis, and the battery ground wire. Also the ground to the alternator would also be great to clean if you are going to do a thorough job. I was having trouble with poor charging on my '91 and cleaning these wires and terminals with sandpaper solved the problem! Truck on!
Where's the ground wire on the chassis? I might do this tomorrow when I change the plugs.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

On the firewall left side looking from the front.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Another on on the rad saddle - driver's side and the passenger fender beside the battery.